OT Now there is a customer who knows how to ask an intelligent question.

Clive George

Or haggis, pizza, mutton pie. Yum.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

If I'm introducing someone to haggis, I tell them to try it *before* I tell 'em what's in it. Then they oten like it.

Deep fried in batter with decent chips is best. There's this chippy not far from Johnston Terrace in Edinburgh...

Reply to
John Williamson

Ah, McDonalds. I used to rather like the chicken nuggets (I know, but we all have guilty secrets :-)).

A few years ago they suddenly changed to "Low salt, 100% chicken breast meat"

No taste at all now. Still unhealthy, but now complety pointless :-(

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

We like haggis, but my wife decided to get some deep fried haggis one night while walking back over South Bridge.

It stayed down about an hour.

Reply to
Bob Eager

How does it go again...

Junk food - the packaging is more nutritious than the food. Health food - the packaging is tastier than the food.

-- Halmyre

Reply to
Halmyre

Yes I always offer tradesmen a nice green salad; easy on the low-fat dressing. And of course only ever skimmed milk in their tea, if they insist on drinking that dreadful Typhoo stuff rather than a nice raspberry and calomine infusion. They're always ever so grateful.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Why do brikkies/labourers prefer putting the milk and tea bag in the cup before the hot water?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Calamine is horrible in tea.

Reply to
Bob Eager

:-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Lobster :

I was once offered calamine tea, from a CrossCountry train trolley. I declined.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I was rather shocked when a tradesman expressed a preference for

*coffee*.

I blame continental holidays.

Next they'll be wanting two hour lunch breaks and garlic mayonnaise on their cheese butties.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Got it in one. :-)

Reply to
John Williamson

Yes; it's odd, that.

I like chippy haggis, but...

... you never know what you're getting. Best to find a good one and stick with it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I know nice places to eat in Edinburgh, but this was very late....

Best chippy I know, by far, is in Canterbury of all places. However, I avoid going there much (although I only live about 7 miles away) so I don't get to use it much these days.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Which one?

Twenty years ago (!) the best chippy was over in Wincheap: the woman behind the counter had a nose that looked like Karl Malden's. Another good one was the one near the King's School gate. The chap there had an amazing comb over, and sold rock eel, pee fritters and banana- flavoured pop. The most popular touristy one though was the one near The Canterbury Tales (St Margaret's Street?).

Are any of the three still going? Canterbury certainly did seem to have a good supply of fine chippies back then.

Reply to
mike

Yes, I used to live near there. Haven't been that way for years except in heavy traffic, and certainly not tried it.

Borough Fish Bar? Yes, used that quite a bit. Changed hands. I'm told it's not what it was.

That's the good one now...St Margaret's Street, opposite Waterstones. They do a roaring trade so always freshly cooked, and very good. Even the bloke who ran our local (very good) chippy used to use it! City Fish Bar.

Reply to
Bob Eager

You've got me wanting fish 'n' chips now!

Reply to
mike

On a cross-desert caravan one might be offered camelmile tea - has foam on top.

Reply to
PeterC

Depends on if you drink it or rub it in!

Reply to
John Rumm