OT: No right arrows allowed on roundabouts?!

I received this bullshit from my neighbouring council. Apparently new design standards forbid the painting of right turn arrows on roundabouts because it would confuse people?!? Instead they now paint straight ahead arrows, making people all get in the wrong lane. How long before someone is killed? The roundabout in question has three lanes entering it, and each road has a single lane exiting it. Therefore what we now have is the middle and right lane of traffic competing to go straight ahead, as both lanes have a straight ahead arrow. The right lane however is meant for turning right.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/afgotb1sn4qlnjm/arrows.jpg?dl=0
--
We used to have Empires run by Emperors.
Then Kingdoms run by Kings.

https://goo.gl/maps/LytqzqNsK822 (Note the right lane has a forward facing arrow). So going straight ahead, I use the right lane, only to discover I have to squeeze into the single lane on the other side along with people in the middle lane!
--
The success of the "Wonder Bra" for under-endowed women has encouraged the designers to come out with a bra for over-endowed women.
It's called the "Sheep Dog Bra"- it rounds them up and points them in the right direction.

Well it does have the destination road number marked, so what is the problem?

Why would everyone know what road they were going onto? I usually just know I want to turn right.
--
Mrs. Culpepper was almost in tears. "Oh Marie," she said to her maid, "I have reason to suspect that my husband is having an affair with his secretary."
"I don't believe it for one minute." Marie snapped. "You're just saying that to make me jealous."
Andy Bennet wrote:

Do you know who JWS is? If so, don't feed the troll.

Corse it could, the worst of the stupids would decide that they can turn right into the oncoming traffic on the roundabout.

Not when the lanes are labelled with the exit they are for.
Corse not everyone will know what the very cryptic labels painted on the road mean as they drive up to them and cant see them for long in heavy traffic.

They die already.

Grangemouth has two. Weird system tho, most have 3 lanes entering and 1 leaving. None of ours have an abortion like that.

Hardly the end of civilisation as we know it.

Ignoring the label on that lane.

What you get when you ignore the label painted on the road.
Ah what you need is a straight arrow in a warped space. IE a straight arrow around a roundabout has to be curved to the right. I think the spec they quote is being taken out of context really. Common sense is often assumed in these things, but seldom encountered. Brian
--
----- -
You're right, common sense never occurs in council departments. They're out of their mind. The roundabout in question is very simple, 4 exits (including the one you're entering with), all at right angles. Three possible ways out, all with a single lane on the exit road: forwards, 90 degrees right, 90 degrees left. Anything other than a left, forward, and right arrow is illogical and dangerous.

--
Archimedes principle: When a body is fully immersed in water, the telephone rings.

On Thursday, November 30, 2017 at 2:27:28 PM UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:

ow

in

he

You've all got it wrong. The correct procedure is to use the left hand lane and go round the roundabout on the outside until you reach your desired ex it. The second rule about roundabouts is you're not allowed to enter them u nless they are devoid of all other traffic.
And don't forget the magic indicator, Turn it on and it gives you automat ic right of way to change lanes, enter motorways etc. Thats how I see others behaving.

It didn't give the van driver right of way when he collided with me at a busy roundabout a while ago (a backlog of traffic going 2mph) - he was in the inside lane and realised he was going the wrong way, so indicated left and expected me to get out of the way, which I didn't. The police were rather annoyed with him and I believe they gave him some penalty points.
--
Bumper sticker: "Help! She's farted and I can't get out."

Hang on, did you say indicator? I didn't think anybody used those anymore. I don't know if it's incompetance, stupidity, selfishness, or the fact that modern cars keep turning the bloody things off in the middle of a turn. What happened to the ones which let you indicate right, go left onto the roundabout, turn right, then only turn off when you were straightening up after leaving the roundabout? It's a simple enough design - the little bits of plastic that click the right indicator off should only exist between right and straight positions on the steering wheel, not between straight and left.
--
Bumper sticker: "Help! She's farted and I can't get out."

On 30/11/17 14:44, fred wrote:

So when did the highway code change, and what is the inner lane for then?

I believe he was being funny, commenting on what most drivers do.
--
101 Dalmatians and Peter Pan are the only two Disney animated features in which both the parents are present and don't die throughout the movie.

On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 17:39:21 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Whooosh.
On 30/11/2017 14:44, fred wrote:

You are so right! I am fed up of taking the right lane on a particular roundabout that only has exits to left and right and two lanes on the approach, only to find someone has used the left lane and is up my inside stopping me moving over to turn off at my exit, which has only a single lane!
Personally, I'd install a large concrete block in the left lane!
SteveW

See that big switch in the middle of your steering wheel? It makes a loud noise and educates people.
--
Do you know how to get an 88 year old woman to say "BITCH!"?
You get a 72 year old woman to yell "BINGO!"

Oh it gets used frequently. I certainly never need to test that it is working before an MOT!
SteveW
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

Prick.

No intelligent informed response then?
--
Mrs. Culpepper was almost in tears. "Oh Marie," she said to her maid, "I have reason to suspect that my husband is having an affair with his secretary."
"I don't believe it for one minute." Marie snapped. "You're just saying that to make me jealous."
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

"Prick" is a very intelligent and informed response to any posting that you make, Hucker.