OT: No right arrows allowed on roundabouts?!

I received this bullshit from my neighbouring council. Apparently new design standards forbid the painting of right turn arrows on roundabouts because it would confuse people?!? Instead they now paint straight ahead arrows, making people all get in the wrong lane. How long before someone is killed? The roundabout in question has three lanes entering it, and each road has a single lane exiting it. Therefore what we now have is the middle and right lane of traffic competing to go straight ahead, as both lanes have a straight ahead arrow. The right lane however is meant for turning right.

James Wilkinson Sword

(Note the right lane has a forward facing arrow). So going straight ahead, I use the right lane, only to discover I have to squeeze into the single lane on the other side along with people in the middle lane!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Ah what you need is a straight arrow in a warped space. IE a straight arrow around a roundabout has to be curved to the right. I think the spec they quote is being taken out of context really. Common sense is often assumed in these things, but seldom encountered. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You're right, common sense never occurs in council departments. They're out of their mind. The roundabout in question is very simple, 4 exits (including the one you're entering with), all at right angles. Three possible ways out, all with a single lane on the exit road: forwards, 90 degrees right, 90 degrees left. Anything other than a left, forward, and right arrow is illogical and dangerous.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You've all got it wrong. The correct procedure is to use the left hand lane and go round the roundabout on the outside until you reach your desired ex it. The second rule about roundabouts is you're not allowed to enter them u nless they are devoid of all other traffic.

And don't forget the magic indicator, Turn it on and it gives you automat ic right of way to change lanes, enter motorways etc. Thats how I see others behaving.

Reply to
fred

It didn't give the van driver right of way when he collided with me at a busy roundabout a while ago (a backlog of traffic going 2mph) - he was in the inside lane and realised he was going the wrong way, so indicated left and expected me to get out of the way, which I didn't. The police were rather annoyed with him and I believe they gave him some penalty points.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Hang on, did you say indicator? I didn't think anybody used those anymore. I don't know if it's incompetance, stupidity, selfishness, or the fact that modern cars keep turning the bloody things off in the middle of a turn. What happened to the ones which let you indicate right, go left onto the roundabout, turn right, then only turn off when you were straightening up after leaving the roundabout? It's a simple enough design - the little bits of plastic that click the right indicator off should only exist between right and straight positions on the steering wheel, not between straight and left.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

So when did the highway code change, and what is the inner lane for then?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Prick.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Well it does have the destination road number marked, so what is the problem?

Reply to
Andy Bennet

I believe he was being funny, commenting on what most drivers do.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

No intelligent informed response then?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Why would everyone know what road they were going onto? I usually just know I want to turn right.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

"Prick" is a very intelligent and informed response to any posting that you make, Hucker.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

As usual you make no input to the conversation.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

This is a DIY group. Tell us when you have ever made a contribution to ANY question asked. All you do is ask stupid trolling questions and then argue the toss to the people that try to help you. You are a pillock Hucker, and always will be a pillock.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Do you know who JWS is? If so, don't feed the troll.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

What part of OT don't you understand?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Whooosh.

Reply to
Bob Eager

What part DIY do you not understand? Go troll elsewhere, you are not welcome here.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire