Re: roundabouts

Roundabout I regularly use. Traffic entering from 3 o'clock can turn off at about 5 o'clock, 8 o'clock or 11 o'clock. It really, really helps, if they are taking 5 o'clock, that they are indicating *before* they enter the roundabout. Otherwise you have to wait until they commit (or indicate) to 5 o'clock before you can safely enter the roundabout. And it is only a short distance.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Then you can wait.

In my driving test the examiner said "You are waiting to exit a junction anda car is coming towards you, indicating left: should you pulll out in front of him?"

Sensing a trick question I said "No".

"Okay" he said "Why not?"

I said "Because he might be indicating left because he has forgotten to cancel his indicator"

"Good. He might also be pulling into his drive or the kerb just *past* the corner you are waiting at."

NEVER use the indicators as a guarantee of a person's intentions. They are at best, advisory.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On 14/01/2020 11:38, The Natural Philosopher wrote: <SNIP>

Many moons ago, my driving instructor said that a flashing indicator on its own, only provides evidence that a switch has been operated, and reveals nothing about the driver's true intentions.

Reply to
John Kenyon

Which does prompt the question: what's the earthly point in having indicators if they cannot be relied on? If a good driver ignores another driver's signal in case it is false, how has his decision-making process changed depending on how the other driver has signalled?

Reply to
NY

If I had decent dashcam with speed display and an accident occurred in such circumstances, I would be arguing that the other driver was negligent. I would expect to win.

Reply to
Scott

I don't think anyone has suggested *ignoring* the signal. It is useful information that can be acted on in many ways, especially defensively. The suggestion is that one should not act on it in such a way as to cause a dangerous situation if the driver fails to take the action he is indicating.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I think you would win, and get some damages. But relying totally on the signal would be at least 20% contributory negligence, and you'd still lose your NCB.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

In general the law says you should, but the examiner recognises that many don't.

Proper use of indicators improves traffic flow.

As does use of roundabouts

Which is why neither are preferred by todays 'woke' generations of traffic hating cyclist councillors

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or you THINK he is indicating

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Agreed, though this would depend on what the camera showed of my actions. If I did all I reasonably could, I would be arguing there was no negligence on my part. The speed reading would be a helpful adminicle of evidence.

Reply to
Scott