Bandits at 12 O'clock

They're early this year.

About 50 geese flying in formation and honking like mad have just passed over my house heading for the RSPB reserve on the flood plain just to the South.

They usually wait until after the August bank holiday.

Are we going to have a 'global warming' cold winter or just another weather variation ?

Reply to
Andrew

In message <te5udp$rrj$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org>, Andrew snipped-for-privacy@mybtinternet.com writes

I think egg laying/hatch has been earlier this year for most of our garden birds. Perhaps your Geese had the same idea:-)

With prospective fuel bills, I vote for a repeat of last Winter.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Either that or the high pressure and the wierd jet stream has given them a free ride this year. Normally an atlantic low pressure would mean they are flying into a headwind until the centre of the low heads over Norway/Denmark

Apparently the MoD can track them with their radar -

I don't think contact with a flying Christmas dinner at several hundred miles per hour is a good thing.

Reply to
Andrew

Absolutely.

The geese roost in very large numbers on the Cley marshes. There were two helicopters, one ahead of the other. The first scared the birds, so they took off into the path of the second helicopter, which flew into them, and the birds smashed the windscreen and incapacitated the pilot.

You can read more here.

GB

Maybe there is a special offer there of more food. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It's been on offer ever since the RSPB bought a re-possessed farm from a bank 35 years ago and altered the drainage system so that the overspill from the river onto the flood plains is held back.

Word has clearly got around because it is very popular now from September to ?March.

Drives the local farmers nuts because if they plant winter wheat, it provides some tasty nibbles for these flying vaccuum cleaners.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Maybe, the farmers should start up a rival charity - Royal Society for the Protection of Foxes - and set up a rival establishment next door?

Reply to
GB