OT: No Austerity in the BBC!

I noticed the way they've tried to shift the focus of attention away from the overall *astronomical* salaries they shower on their "talents" (out of OUR hard-earned money of course) and into a self-flagilent guilt-fest over the disparity in pay between men and women. The BBC really is a cash bonfire of licence payers' money and needs to be shut right down *NOW* as a matter of urgency. Bastards.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

And there probably isn't a disparity, either in amount or numbers. Remember that these figures exclude all the money that goes to independent companies that channel money to the 'talent'.

SWMBO says it just shows the women are more savvy and have their own companies!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yeah. Why not pay SKY three times as much, and pay the wages of countless 10 million pound a year footballers instead.

michael adams

michael adams

Sky is not receiving public money. They can do what they like.

Reply to
Scott

I wondered that too. When Chris Evans receives £2.2m is this his 'take-home pay' or is it a payment to his production company to cover Evans himself, other on-air staff, admin staff, research, equipment, office overheads etc?

Reply to
Scott

"The One Show's Alex Jones was second, earning between £400,000 and £450,000."

Apart from being a Fellow of the University of Aberystwyth, I'm not quite s ure what her talents are. I can't stand her speaking voice.

That's easy to solve. Pay Chris Evans (£2,200,000+) the same as Vaness a Feltz (£350,000). They do much the same job except that Feltz is the more intellectual of the pair.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Probably gross pay before tax. Graham Norton's £850,000 "do not includ e those from his Friday night chat show, for which the BBC pays an independ ent production company, which in turn pays his salary"

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

That's not the point though is it ?

Sky is obviously a viable business.

If people are happy to pay SKY ?480 p.a three times as much as they pay for the BBC licence fee for all the BBC's services, in order to pay footballers ?100 million a year, why would they object to paying Chris Evans - the highest paid BBC talent a relatively measly ?2.2 million per year ?

And in "doing what they like" all SKY have succeeded in doing is destroying live top level football in this country; as a spectacle which could be afforded and enjoyed by almost anyone, at grounds up and down the country. Even if your team was always hovering around the bottom, there were always the visits of the top teams to look forward to.

Destroying all this was the intention all along of course. Murdoch would much prefer the "fans" slumped on their couches in front of the telly, while he rakes in the subs. He would probably prefer them slumped on their couches 24/7 in fact. Basically if SKY subscribers knowledge of the World was limited to what they learned from watching Sky Movies, Sky Sport, and the commercials which appear on SKY then that would suit Murdoch fine.

While the fact that Murdoch "can do as he likes" clearly doesn't seem to bother you, you might be surprised to learn that other people take a rather less sanguine view of his activities, and his pernicious influence on the life of this country. Murdoch never has, and never will contribute anything to the cultural life of this country, while his only contribution to its political life such as it is, is purely to serve his own interests.

He's a parasite, pure and simple.

michael adams

michael adams

I think that's his own gross pay.

Another point. Perhaps the savvy women work for ITV/Channel 4/etc.

Reply to
Bob Eager

You're missing the point, I can CHOOSE to pay Sky or not. But the BBC m= ake it a criminal offence not to fund them for watching programs made by= another TV company.

-- =

There are 18.6 million vacant homes in the United States, enough for eve= ry homeless person to have 6 each.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Don't pay your license fee then. Fuck the lot of them.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Not the same people. Sky subscribers are a subset of licence fee payers. You cannot assume those who choose not to pay extra for Sky will be happy with Evans' salary.

My point was that there are different considerations for transparency where public money is involved.

Chief Execs of FTSE100 companies typically earn far in excess of MPs, Government Ministers and Civil Servants. That does not make it right. Nor does it take away the need for transparency in salarIes of those working in the public sector.

Reply to
Scott

Oh don't be a wally. Oh sorry you are one already, my mistake. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I think many many of them actually are sole traders so they are in effect freelance.

I'm not sure what makes A certain Mr Evans worth the money he gets, but I guess I just don't like his style of presenting. I have no issues with the sports people as they all need to try to keep their current standard of living when they retire from sport due to knackering themselves trying to keep dfit!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I don't object overly, at least in the scheme of things, and I think I get fair value even though I rarely listen to or watch most of the people on the list.

Then there's the £40m they pay senior managers. While that is about half what is was 8 years back, it's still £10m more than they pay their top

100 (of 43,000) on-screen talent.
Reply to
RJH

Isn't it? When the BBC were practically gifted the TV rights to Formula

1, they made a token show of broadcasting a couple of races - then promptly sold the rights on to.... Sky! So thanks to the BBC, an important sporting event with a world-wide audience which was previously free to view on ITV is now no longer viewable without a Sky subscription (except for a small handful of races shown on C4 as appetisers to get punters to sign up to Sky. Thank you so much, BBC, your craven greed knows no limits.
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

from the overall *astronomical* salaries they shower on their "talents"

Brown-nosing and virtue-signalling; same as all the others.

And has a massively fat arse.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I suspect the difference is at least partially due to nature. The audience like presenters who are sexually attractive to them. Women prefer high status men. Men prefer variety and youth.

Obviously high status tends to be self fulfilling and produce a few highly successful, celebrity, males. Whereas youth and variety tends to lead to a constant turnover of young women who are much more competitively priced.

Reply to
Nick

Sky is coming under pressure for profitability from Netflix and Amazon. Don't know how good Sky long term outlook is.

Reply to
Capitol

...unless you have an internet connection.

You would be surised how amny sitre are rebridacasting sky, preseumably with no comnmercial arrangent to do so. #

start with 'cricfree.sx'

Ypu will need to run firefix and knwo how to makane iritating popups and delete nodes from the source code useing firefox console, but once you have cleaned up the adware its not a bad feed

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher