OT: No Austerity in the BBC!

[49 lines snipped]

TNP has the same bigot gene as Plowperson; "anyone not with me is against me". They're both idiots, just from opposite ends of the political spectrum.

Reply to
Huge

It's been a trend for many years now.

Studios? Many have been closed recently. The trend for much is location production. Or even use a warehouse instead of a studio.

Think of a zero hours contract. That's effectively how lots of tekkies etc in broadcasting work these days. Although only with a contract for the days they are actually needed.

On a soap?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes - even on those progs which run year round, most of the tekkies will be freelance these days. A trend which sort of started 30 years ago or so.

I actually quite liked being freelance since it came to me quite late in my career. So was already established - and had a reasonable (deferred) pension from staff days, and mortgage paid off. But feel sorry for the insecurity it causes those earlier on in their careers.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dunno. But most are going to look at the pay when considering a new job. And if you have a lifestyle commensurate with a few hundred thou salary, aren't going to take a job at much less.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

if you are "talent" on the way down, you have no choice

Reply to
tim...

Or in an industry that doesn't pay 6 figure salaries.

Reply to
Mark

Ah. You mean a tax avoidance scheme.

Reply to
Mark

Being freelance can have some tax advantages. You can claim for expenses you couldn't on PAYE. But then you wouldn't need say a diary service if you're an employee. And any travel costs would be paid by your employer.

Oh - as a freelance, you pay your estimated tax bill in advance (based on your earnings the year before) Unlike PAYE where it is deducted when actually paid.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Still can be used as tax avoidance.

Reply to
Mark

So why are some people on the BBC list and some not? I thought the ones on the list were employed by the BBC and the ones off this list, such as David Dimbleby, were not employed by the BBC. If this is wrong, could you clarify the position?

But are freelancers shown on the BBC list?

If they work for one employer only would this not bring them into the IR35 rules?

Reply to
Scott

So each game should be sold by the two teams involved? Each pairing would engage in a separate negotiation. That would create a lot of permutations through the course of the season.

Or are you advocating that each team should negotiate separately, meaning if Manchester United play Sunderland, Man U could negotiate a higher TV fee due to the greater pool of talent, or maybe based on team capitalisation? Or maybe each player could negotiate his own fee for each game. The possibilities are endless.

If it's anything like Brexit the start of the season could be delayed for years while negotiations take place.

Reply to
Scott

Each team would negotiate a season-long agreement for its own home matches, Shirley.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Teams are interdependent and each league level depends on those below to a certain extent. Man U v Chelsea has value mostly because of their positions in the league which in turn depends on the very existence of all the other teams in that league. Personally I think the way remove some of the value from TV rights would be to make one match per week to be available on terrestrial free-to-air TV. Of course it was the EU Competition Commissioner who set up the current system which hiked the cost even further with no regard for the consumer

Reply to
bert

Well it's obviously cheaper to employ women so get rid of all the men and replace them with women.

Reply to
bert

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

I don't know anyone who thinks they are. Perhaps you cold justify your assertion - no of course you can't.

There is no "market rate"

Reply to
bert

I never said that. Or anything like it.

Had I said anything at all on that topic, then I would have pointed out that had the information not been made public, as it has been, then it might cost "outsiders" a considerable amount of money to find out; assuming that this was possible at all, by legal means.

The fact that Bert apparently believes it only necessary to phone up their agent and ask, is quite frankly so na?ve as to be laughable.

The idea that the BBC doesn't know how much it pays out to anyone, individuals, production companies, contractors, even the suppliers of toilet rolls, given that the BBC actually prints out all the cheques is among the most ludicrous suggestions I've ever seen made on UseNet. Although the fact that you should falsely attribute such a preposterous suggestion to somebody else, myself in this instance, comes as no real surprise.

michael adams

michael adams

In article , Mark writes

Well ironically football was just as exciting when they were.

Neither in these cases it would seem, just those with the best agents.

Reply to
bert

In article , Mark writes

Even charities pay 6 figure salaries.

Reply to
bert

And reduce the quality of TV considerably. Unless they were all topless....

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Every high paid footballer.

Reply to