OT NHS

"Health tourism is also a massive problem for the NHS, with government estimates showing it amounts to 0.3% of the health service?s entire budget".

Massive problem ffs. Given the number of tourists that we have, I could see that treating them might take 0.3%.

Now what *would* be a problem is is losing all the staff from overseas.

And these are not just cleaners and SENs.

My wife's critical orthopaedic surgery was recently delayed by loss of a surgeon at our local trust.

Reply to
newshound

biggest load of shit i have read for a long time, where do they get it from, yes immigration is high, but they are not all queuing at hospitals.

Reply to
critcher

Well according to harry they are using 0.3% of the NHS budget. That means, that as the immigrants represent about 6+% of the population, they aren't using the NHS very much at all but are paying taxes to support it. Maybe harry is planning on making the shortfall up after he gets rid of the tax paying immigrants?

Reply to
dennis

Immigrants from the EU, the only group that is going to be affected by Brexit, are generally young and healthy and make very little demand upon our health services.

Reply to
Nightjar

This is austerity, not immigration

So many health workers are immigrants.

I heard yesterday that the UK spends the 2nd lowest on health care of developed nations. You get what you pay for.

Reply to
Mark

You heard wrong.

Huge

This paints a different picture:

matches-EU-nations.html

Adjust your bias filter before reading! :)

Reply to
The Other John

But like all such things you can fiddle the figures to show what you want.

For example, does paying for gym membership come under health care? Buying vitamin tablets? Going into re-hab? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well you heard a load of porkies. As a proportion of our annual surplus (or deficit in our case) we actually pay more than anyone else. far more.

Only Germany spends more in absolute terms, but their surplus since 2001 is as great in positive terms as our cumulative deficit it, so they afford to.

And NO other country operates a totally free-for-all health model like we do. They all operate a system that requires insurance cover and or payments up front.

Try turning up at a French or German A&E as a non-EU 'tourist' with a pre-existing problem like blocked coronary arteries needing urgent surgey and see what happens.

Kensington and Chelsea has a problem with African ladies, mostly from Nigeria where fertility clinics are unregulated which frequently results in a pregnancy involving multiple births. When this happens the lady in question is just told to head for the UK and stay with friends until the pregnancy is too advanced to allow her to fly, then just head for the nearest maternity hospital that has a neonatal SCBU too - Like Chelsea or UCH.

Reply to
Andrew

Totally free, is it? Apart from prescriptions. Eye and teeth care.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)