OT - negative marketing

From time to time I come across examples of people trying to promote their business but having the opposite effect.
For example, the person who serviced the gas boiler (before we owned the house) stuck his label recording when the boiler was serviced over the paper instructions on the boiler. The label won't peel off without also removing the instructions. So I can't read how to light the boiler. No, I won't be asking hime to service the boiler in the future.
Just had a letter this morning from a building company. It said "I have been told by your architect that you have received planning permission for your extension". I checked (although our architect wasn't mentioned by name so I was already pretty certain) and our architect has never heard of him. The planning permission has not yet been decided.
So I have basically received a letter saying "I am a liar and an idiot, can I do some work for you?"
Strangely, I won't be contacting him to arrange an appointment.
Cheers
Dave R
[Not even bunny]
On 4/4/2012 4:34 AM, David WE Roberts wrote:

If the offending label is one of the self stick type you might be able to remove it using a product similar to what is shown in the following URL.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Even if it removes both labels you should be able to glue the original back on as most of these label removers do not remove the text printed on the label itself.

Thank you for the helpful tip :-)
However I Googled the instructions (just to make sure) so I don't now need to get the label off. I was just enormously underwhelmed by the thought process of someone who would stick the label over the instructions instead of somewhere on the acres of bare metal where it wouldn't do any damage. Enough for me to decide I would not use the details on the label to contact him.
[Not even bunny]
David WE Roberts wrote:

If you were feeling generous, you could use the details on the label to contact him to say just *why* you weren't going to use his services, and, by the way, could he provide the instructions to replace what he's covered up.
It's also possible that it was an employee or subcontractor that did the service, and he's not aware of the problem.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

No mileage in it for me. Service was presumably in 10/06. Boiler is likely to be in a skip within six months. A conversation based on "You don't know me, but the boiler you serviced about six years ago for the previous owners - you stuck the reminder label in a pretty stupid place so I won't be using your services in the future." has limited benefit for both parties.
[Not even bunny]
John Williamson wrote:

And also possibly deliberate and he thinks if you dont know how to start your boiler that you will have to use him to do it
F Murtz wrote:

In any case, contacting him and telling him why you won't be using him might modify his behaviour.
Apart from being greedy and shortsighted, he may be a competent workman. I know it's unlikely...
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Thereby assisting him in masking his unscrupulous trading behaviour. I'd be happier leaving him pissing off prospective future clients and reducing his repeat trade.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Everyone should do that, on principle.
The Natural Philosopher wrote

That assumes that there is anyone who doesnt do that.
Thats a very dubious proposition indeed and even if there is, they are likely to be more expensive than the alternatives just because they are so lazy about flogging their shit.
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I normally buy from the operation offering the best price and would only change away from them if I get a marketing call if someone else was just as cheap/just as viable when making claims etc.
My bank does try to flog me stuff that I dont need, but given that its a pain to change the main transaction account because so many of the dividend payments etc go into that account, its not worth the trouble to change to someone else that may be just as bad as that anyway.
And they have been very quick to say sorry when I have pointed out that I dont need credit too.
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I did that with BT. Constant phone calls trying to sell me stuff. I just switched the line rental to someone cheaper. No more calls.
Another Dave
--
Change nospam to gmx

On Apr 4, 10:34am, "David WE Roberts" wrote:

Does obliterating the instructions mean the boiler no longer complies with manufacturer's instructions or gas safety regs and could be considered unsafe?
Owain
Yes, I'd like to know how some of these idiots know things about you? For example, in the last few years I've taken advantage of some Gov grants to do loft insulation and get extra heating fitted. About six months after this I started getting calls from allied companies, ie, say companies selling cavity wall insulation, or solar water heating etc. Now in all cases on forms I'd specifically said they could not pass my details on. so either these companies are ignoring this, or somoene has a very efficient crystal ball. I suspect the former, even though the direct questions were asked and denials given. I have no cavity walls, so maybe next time I'll make them do a free survey and actu thick. Brian
--
Brian Gaff - snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk
On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 10:34:18 +0100, "David WE Roberts"

It's appeared on the planning lists at the council though. I think we had about 4 letters when our PP went in.

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 10:34:18 +0100, "David WE Roberts"

Sometimes, it's done deliberately to obscure owner-friendly instructions; guess why.

There are some right thick bastards around. It's a source of wonderment to me they never stop to think about how transparent their lies are.

I've noticed a lot of TV adverts that fall into that category of late (e.g. I bought this product because I'm a moron)
--
geoff

Just reminded me of the firm of accountants who phoned up saying
"You asked us to ring you back after three months"
"No I didn't, you didn't take the hint and asked if you could phone back at a later date - fuck off, you lying bastard"
--
geoff

On 06/04/2012 00:20, geoff wrote:

I've had calls like that from charities. "You asked us to phone you back after a couple of months." The short and forceful reply "Liar!" stops them dead in their tracks and breaks their script leaving em fumbling around what to say next. I hate when they try to con me like this.
Almost as bad as those "Hello David, This is Jonathan from xyz how are you today?" putting on an sickly-sweet, over-friendly and over-familiar tone, trying to sound like someone I know and am friends with. This tactic just annoys the hell out of me and such calls always end very quickly with "I'm not interested goodbye" and hanging up the phone. If they phone me straight back it immediately escalates to "Fuck off!" and hanging up the phone again. Rare they phone back a third time.
--
David in Normandy. snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.fr