[OT] Mozilla Thunderbird, date style

I've been using the above for approx 1 yr and have noticed in the last couple of days the date is in the American style i.e Month-Day- Year which is annoying. I'm not sure if it's changed recently or if it's always been like that and I've not noticed before. Is it possible to change the date to the Brit style. i.e Day-Month-Year ? Anyone know?

Thanks Don

Reply to
Donwill

Check you have not altered your regional settings in windows control panel. Thunderbird ought to use the system selected default format.

Reply to
John Rumm

Are you saying that everything else on your computer shows the British style date? I'm not aware of any way of settign T'bird differently.

Mine is certainty OK: I can't see any reason why they'd build in functionality to do this. Perhaps yours has just thrown a wobbler and wants reinstalling.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Very Interesting! I'd forgotten that I had fiddled with regional settings a few weeks ago and was surrprised to find Welsh in the multiple choice so I chose it and all the change I could discern was that the full date was in Welsh ( 05 Chwefror 2011) which as a Welsh speaker I rather liked, However I had not noticed at the time that it also changed the short date in Thunderbird to the American style but did not affect the date style in my emails in OE.

Many thanks, I've reset now to English, playtime is over. Don

Reply to
Donwill

Thanks for that, It's an interesting little anomaly as explained in my reply earlier. Thanks Don

Reply to
Donwill

I've been using TB for a few weeks & my date is fine.

To highjack the thread, anyone know how to increase the font size in the preview pane? I've got the size increased in the pane where you read the message.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Would it be in ,"tools > options> display".? I've not tried it myself. Don

Reply to
Donwill

Alas no. That works for the message pane but not the preview pane.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Click in the preview window, then hold Control and hit + to go up, and - to go down sizes. Same as page scaling in firefox etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

Maybe I'm not explaining things properly. I have three window thing's. One top left which shows the groups & folders, to the right of that is one listing all the messages & below that is one showing the body of the message.

I want to increase the font size in the one listing all the messages.

Wherever I click CTRL+ increases the message body text, not the list.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

This *might* be what you need

Reply to
stuart noble

Thunderbirds own fonts and menus can be styled as well (in fact its user interface is completely end user configurable), but its slightly more complex.

In Win7 click the "start" button and enter %APPDATA% into the search field and hit return. That will open the applications data folder.

Navigate your way down a few folders by double clicking:

Thunderbird -> Profiles -> nnnnnnn.default

(where nnnnnnn is a random string of characters)

Now create a folder called chrome

Open notepad, and paste into it:

#threadTree > treechildren {font-size: 14px; font-family: Arial;}

Save it as userChrome.css into the folder you just created.

Restart Thunderbird, jobs a good'un

If you want a larger size change the 14px to something bigger - 16px etc. If you want a different font, then change the font family to something else like Verdana, or Times New Roman etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

:-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Could you be a little more specific as to where? ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Edit->preferences->advanced->config editr

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Saved it as 'userChrome.css.txt' probably ...

Dave, make sure in explorer that you turn the extension hiding off (in folder options)

Reply to
Adrian C

No 'preferences' option in 'Edit' I'm afraid :-(

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

'folder options'?

Ain't not got one of them :-(

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Possibly... command prompt and DIR is your friend here ;-)

You have, just someone thought it a good idea to hide it!

Try the Organise drop down, then Folder and Search Options, then click the View tab.

Find the despicable and evil[1] "Hide extensions for known file types" and turn it off.

[1] its that makes email attachments called : IamAVirusPretendingToLookInnocent.jpg.exe show up as if they were a picture!
Reply to
John Rumm

Tools->Options->General Tab->Config Editor button.

(however note the Here be dragons warning on entry!)

(better of with a bit of CSS in a file on this one)

Reply to
John Rumm