Toilet limescale remover and shower head

We have a shower head which is one of those that has the nozzles made of rubber.

Since quite a few holes are now blocked with limescale, would it cause the nozzles damage to soak it in some toilet 'limescale-remover' do you think?

Reply to
john Macreedy

B & Q Kilrock. Brilliant and only £2

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

In message , john Macreedy wrote

The point of them being made of rubber is that you can rub your hand over them and the limescale cracks up and falls out

I've used kettle de-scaler with no problems.

Reply to
Alan

Brick acid does a good job on ours. I take it apart so it's only the plate with the nozzles in (plastic + rubber) which goes in the acid rather than the entire head.

Reply to
Clive George

The point of making the nozzles of rubber is, allegedly, that you can remove limescale with a vigorous rub.

Reply to
Skipweasel

eBay is your friend, just like google is:-

the_constructor

Clive George ( snipped-for-privacy@xxxx-x.fsnet.co.uk) wibbled on Saturday 05 February 2011

14:33:

I found formic acid very effect (more so that acetic) back in the days when you could buy that sort of thing from Boots...

Reply to
Tim Watts

AFAIK Boots still sell 'Ataka' which is a formic acid based descaler. Ataka is very similar to the aforementioned 'Kilrock-K'.

'Hagesan Blue professional limescale remover' (phosphoric acid based) is also very effective on things like shower heads, IME.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Yes, do it with the water flowing (in the shower). However, it doesn't work forever, and you do have to chemically descale it from time to time.

In addition to the other comments, toilet scale remover contains a thickener to allow it to act before running off, but this will prevent it getting into the shower head holes.

The chemical most often used is sulphamic acid. Almost any acid will work (including cooking products such as vinegar), providing it doesn't damage the item being descaled. I usually have a tub of Furnox DS-3 in the cupboard, which is a very cost effective way to buy sulphamic acid, and it contains an indicator and a smell (so you notice before you drink it). As someone else said, brick acid may work too, but it's unnecessarily strong for this purpose, and needs more care handling, and might damage any metalic parts in the shower head.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

They had it just before Christmas. Orange bottle, labelled Ataka Descaler. Took ages to find it - for some reason it was under Foot Care.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Ataka-rays!

Reply to
Skipweasel

We have really hard water in our bit of Telford and I've not had to in ten years. The coffee maker needs doing fortnightly - though that may be due to the relative frequency of coffee and showers.

Reply to
Skipweasel

at £14.69 it's not !

Reply to
john Macreedy

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Skipweasel saying something like:

That's for the scaly alien customers.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

But look at the amount you get....!!