OT: Money worries

Cobblers

Britain invested all over the world.

Always has done

And despite every attampt by Doomed Dimwit and his thick Brexiters will probably continue to.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Yes, but private individuals were limited in how much they could take out. In the late 1940s it was £10. There was a page in the passport to record this.

Reply to
charles

I'm well aware of it, I also know it wasn't seriously policed in the

60,s, even then ten pounds would not support a trip abroad. I made regular trips to Ireland even then and there was no problem that I recollect. I was into the technicalities of customs requirements by the late 60s , early 70,s and there was nothing that prevented me taking cash to Kerry and back for personal use.

Horror comics were forbidden ??? God knows why

As for the 40,s it was before my time. Wasn't there a war on?

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

I remember having to fill in loads of forms, as I didn't have a passport. All I wanted was to buy one copy of a journal from the USA.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The states was a slightly different matter, customs officials were jobsworths of the highest order. Anything coming in from the US was treated with the gravity that an extra Woodbine would warrant, there always were differences in taxes, be it purchase tax or VAT, so almost everyone tried it on with small portable stuff like cameras,

The Customs at Holyhead and Dublin were the same, if there was a long wait for a connecting train the amusement opportunities were endless.

I ceased using the nothing to declare lane quite early on. There was always something to declare, and I had the ability to be even more petty and pedantic than they were.

Happy days

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

This was nothing to do with customs. This was getting negotiable forms of currency to pay for the item up front.

Reply to
Bob Eager

???

Well it was customs that did the stopping and collecting, the device in question would have been paid for in the US and taxes would have had to have been paid on purchase. State taxes at least, that would amount to around 15% or more of the cost price.

I know of no way around the payment of tax in the US at the time, I dont know if things are different now.

I was always of the impression that customs duty on luxuries just went into the pool. I have a sneaking suspicion we still made things like the Kodak Brownie in those days, but the Practicon or similar that would have been the favoured surrepticious import was not really much of a threat to British industry. There would have been no specific claim on the duty by any group within the UK therefore.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Only up to 1945. That still left 1946, 47, 28 & 49. (I ddi write late 1940s)

Reply to
charles

This was all about restricting money going OUT of the UK. You were limited to a certain amount in a fixed time period.

Prior to that, I could just get an international money order from the bank, and post it to the supplier (who were actually Bell Labs). I didn't have a credit card; this was before people commonly had them and anyway I was a graduate student. Once payment was received, the journal would have been posted to me. UK Customs would not have been interested as there was no duty on printed material.

The difference here was that I had to justify sending money out of the UK, and have the amount recorded against my name. Hence all the forms. I still didn't have to do anything for customs.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The resident retard spouts again. Doesn't understand the difference between a holiday and business.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)