Kitchen/Bathroom emulsion Worth the money?

Is it? I will be painting over new emulsion, if it is worthwhile using it would ordinary emulsion be suitable for the first coat? Anyway what is the difference between bathroom and kitchen emulsion, both are supposedly steam resistant?

Reply to
Moonraker

I used the Wickes Master range (which no longer exists) of bathroom and kitchen emulsion, and it's worked very well. I'm not sure I know what all the differences are, but it seems to be easy wipe-clean without any staining into the surface. Water doesn't soak in, whereas standard emulsion is more porous. Wish I'd bought a spare tin before that range vanished.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 17:12:56 -0000, Moonraker wrot= e:

No idea - never used it. But doesn't it tend to be a bit on the shiny si= de?

There is also this product:

Johnstone=E2=80=99s Acrylic Durable Matt is a premium quality emulsion f= ormulated =

for interior use on walls and ceilings. In addition it can be used on =

suitably primed woodwork and radiators. This low odour paint is washable= =

and wipe able, providing a tough finish that is resistant to condensatio= n, =

yellowing and most household stains. Its outstanding durability makes it= =

ideal for use in kitchens, bathrooms, hotels, hospitals and public =

buildings.

do not know the prices.

And in a spirit of openness I do actually work for another arm of that =

company. But I noticed it when looking for something entirely else.

Reply to
polygonum

From my one experience of using it, Kitchen & Bathroom emulsion has a horrible greasy sheen which you'll want to paint over with matt emulsion a week later.

Reply to
mike

In article , Mike Tomlinson writes

It's certainly the safe option, I've recently used it to repaint a forced air (only) ventilated internal bathroom that was susceptible to condensation, no problems since.

For walls it is a bit much but an acceptable compromise.

As a personal choice, in normal rooms, I would use eggshell on wood and matt emulsion on other surfaces. For a well ventilated kitchen I would stick with that.

Reply to
fred

+1.

For some reason SWMBO bought Kitchen and Bathroom paint for the kitchen ceiling. The only thing I noticed is that it was much thicker and, even diluted, dried too quickly. One can still see the brush marks. It wasn't on to fresh plaster either.

Reply to
Mark