LaserDisc

As part of a clearing out of a deceased pal's flat we've got a Laserdisc player and some 300 discs. (He was a real hoarder) It works, but not well. Looks like a VHS does after being copied many many times - dreadfully noisy colour. Captions black on white look fine, though. I remember these being pretty close to a decent broadcast analogue picture, so is there anything simple worth checking before junking it? The discs seem to fetch not much on Ebay - perhaps a quid each - so we were hoping to dispose of them all as a job lot. Any monies received going to charity. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Have you a museum nearby ?

Sounds facetious, but I had to smile at the ZX81 I saw in Birmingham's Science museum.

Reply to
Jethro

I just smile at the one in my workshop!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Might be of use to people reconditioning Domesday laserdisc players.

posting on comp.sys.acorn.hardware

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

I loaded an emulator on my laptop, wrote a 5 line program and ran it for the kids - in SLOW mode which AFAICS was pretty realistic. Random numbers at a rate of about 1 per second...

Found a picture of one hooked up to a small portable B&W TV and said "that's pretty much what I had".

Went to shed to get shovel to scrape their jaws off the floor...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I gave mine to Bletchley Park.

Reply to
Huge

I've seen it. I have a calculator I must take along next time I go.

Reply to
Bob Eager

A friend of mine works in IT, delving deep into the innards of databases. He has had at work (for a number of years) my ZX-80 in a glass fronted case with a sign reading "Emergency Backup System, Break Glass".

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

:-) Mine's a sod to get working with any kind of modern TV - IIRC they were all a bit picky as there was some quirk with the TV signal that they generated. It might be wise to include some sort of display as part of the backup ;-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

There are quite a few there* (or at least were when I worked there) - it seems that they're still quite common. I had four or five myself at one point, but gave them away during a clear-out - I wish I'd kept one now, because it's not as though they take up a lot of space! I do still have a ZX-80 and Spectrum in storage, though.

  • well, at TNMOC on BP's land - although BP themselves did have a small computer collection (but I'm not sure if they still do).

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Just as an update, I've tried it out at home and it's pretty well like I remember them, so not faulty. Not sure why it didn't work well on the pals BFO 3D set via a SCART.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Take a look at:

should find plenty of help there, if you need it, and, if you want to find a new home for it and the disc collection, I'm sure someone would like to keep it as a working machine - much better than a static exhibit in a museum ...

Reply to
Terry Casey

I have posted a link to this group/subject here:

Terry Casey

I've looked on Ebay, and working players seem to have a value. Although I couldn't find a Philips Matchline like this one to do a direct comparison. So it looks like we'll Ebay it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)