Unattended Bonfires

You've only got yourself to blame if you locate next to a group of allotments. There are some freehold allotments adjoining our terrace ( I own one of them).

One of my absentee neighbours (she lives in Scandinavia) has sub-let her allotment, to a guy who likes leaving compost to smoulder for 24 + hours. Problem is, if you leave your bedroom window open at night, the pong can be unpleasant.

When I complained to Scandinavian lady's parents (who manage the allotment on her behalf) I was asked "Don't you like the smell of smoke?" I replied "My wife doesn't like the smell on washing" My wife is also a former TB sufferer and her lungs are pretty much shot.

Next time I don't want to call the Fire Brigade out but is there any other action I can take? TIA

Reply to
Bertie Doe

Have you tried approaching the person they sub let it to? I'm not sure you are allowed to sub let allotments around here actually, but that is a whole other thing.

One of the problems is the weather, under certain conditions smoke does tend to swirl near the ground and become a big problem to neighbours. After all all he needs to do is damp it down before he leaves the site. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If you own the freehold of the allotment, you can sub-let it. They're not council allotments. After the 1st out-of-control fire (about 3 weeks ago) it took wife and self about 20 buckets of water to get it back under control. I spoke to him and he assured me he wouldn't leave fire unattended again.

He did it again 4 nights ago. This time a smaller fire which he'd dampened down beforehand. This time we got smoke and steam for 24 hours. His excuse was, the wind was blowing away from the houses at 10 pm, when he left. The warm front which came, failed to put out the fire but did shift the wind direction thru' say, 100 degrees.

I suggested he invest £14 (Trago Mills) in an incinerator, it would get through 6 wheelbarrow loads in a couple of hours. He didn't think it's a good idea !! Trouble is, he doesn't live here. He'd get an ear-bashing from his wife, if the washing stank of smoke. The joys of opening a bedroom window on a warm Summer's evening are now gone.

The problem with talking Legal Action is persuading 24 householders to foot the bill. I was hoping there was an alternative ?

Reply to
Bertie Doe

Just say to him you'll drench his plot with Glyphosate as that will stop regrowth of vegetation that will need burning.

Reply to
Fredxx

Be grateful that you don't live opposite a farm. We're living in a cottage in a small village in the Yorkshire Dales, which sounds idyllic but the village is dominated by a dairy farm. The smell from the cows is noticeable but not really objectionable, but whenever the farm dig around in the muck heap to pile it up, the whole village reeks for several days, indoors as well as outdoors. The smell clings to any washing that is hung out to dry, requiring re-washing and then hanging up indoors to dry (or drying "smalls" in the tumble drier).

Reply to
NY

Complain to local authority Environmental Health that the continued and prolonged bonfires are a statutory nuisance. Under the Environmental Protection Act 1990, the Council is obliged to take action where a statutory nuisance exists.

The notice may be served on Scandinavian Lady or her Parents if they are the owners or managers of the land concerned.

Another possibility is an injunction against bonfires but you'd probably need to know the identity of the culprit.

For both of the above you don't need 24 householders to all complain, but it will be more effective if you have mmultiple complaints.

When does the problem allotmentee's 'tenancy' of the allotment expire? Would it be feasible for you to offer to take it over?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I'd contact the local authority. I'm sure there are rule re fires and nuisance.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Have you tried the council's enviromental health dept?

This is a good writeup from my council:

Tim Watts

You could piss on it.

Reply to
ARW

There's 11 months to run on his annual tenancy plus I don't want to take on another allotment. There's just the 2 of us and each allotment measures 170' x 20', that's about 12 sq rod ....

Thanks for the above link to Eden DC. I'm sure our local authority will have something similar. I'll check that out.

Reply to
Bertie Doe

buy a bigger bucket

or a long hose

tim

Reply to
tim...

Was the farm there before you moved there?

Reply to
Tim Streater

In message , Tim Streater writes

Planning consent for intensive livestock housing within 400m of existing domestic housing can be an issue.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Hence my question.

Reply to
Tim Streater

And you may end up with no one allowed a small fire.

Reply to
FMurtz

Contact your local Council. The guy is creating a nuisance and as such it's the Council's duty to stop it.

petefj

Reply to
PeteFJ

If he leaves it unattended in the evening put it out with a few buckets of water.

Reply to
ss