electric dryer only runs if you hold the start switch

Have an electric dryer that will only run if you hold the start switch, once you let go it will stop. Is there thermal protection that might be faulty? what the best way to proceed? dryer is 7 years old and does not have any moisture sensors or features that typically cause this problem.

Reply to
dozer_man

The momentary contact switch on my dryer energizes the timer. My guess is that a switch on the timer has gone bad

Reply to
RBM

A contact on the motor centrifugal switch does the equivalent of holding the start button down once the motor gets up to speed. Is the motor otherwise working properly. Your first task should be to clean dust and lint from around the motor and ensure that the motor and centrifugal switch are working properly.

Reply to
Bob