Lawnmower Only Runs Tilted To The Left

My lawnmower (20 year old B&S 3.5 HP) won't run if it gets tilted to the right as seen from the pushing-the-mower position. It acts like it's not getting gas. If I tilt it back to the left it starts going again just fine. When tilted to the right the low point of the gas tank would be even lower so I'm sure it's getting gas to the fuel line when it stops. I checked the carb floats and they seem to be functioning properly. The fuel line is new. The fuel flows freely through the line. The air cleaner looks good. I sprayed the carb with carb cleaner. I removed the jet and cleaned it too. I even made sure the gas tank was full. Oil level is just a tad high.

Any ideas? I have to mow hilly areas and it's not always easy to get my approach with the mower tilted just the right way ;-)

Reply to
Ulysses

Check for a frayed wire that may be shorting out. Particularly the magneto wire. Also be sure the spark plug wire is not cracked. You could also have a loose or broken shut off contact switch.

My first thought was the carb float, but you said you checked that. Also be sure there is not water in the gas, since the water will stay on the lowest point. A little "Heet" should fix any residual water after you drain the tank.

One last thing. Is there a loose bolt or other metal object in by the points that is shorting them? (points are under the flywheel).

Reply to
anoldfart2

You caught that idea too, huh ??? It sounds very likely !!!!

Reply to
anoldfart2

You've checked all the things that I would have, so...

A few questions to maybe help you narrow it down:

  1. How long after it gets tilted to the right does the engine start sounding funny?

  1. If you "catch it" before the engine stops completely and level the mower, how long before the engine sounds right again?

  2. Can you eyeball the throttle arm on the carb and see if maybe it's moving towards its closed position when the mower is tilted? (It should move toward the *open* postion when the engine slows.)

  1. I know you said it's a 20 year old mower, so it's probably like most of my old power equipment, a "widow maker" without a bunch of safety features to keep the legal sharks away. But maybe (long shot) there's some kind of electrical engine killing safety which is acting up when the mower is tilted?

  2. How long since you looked at/cleaned the air filter? (Another long shot.) But, try tilting it with the air cleaner off, you might see/learn something that way.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I thought of this an oopsasecond after I hit "send":

Didja check for water in the tank? If there is some, maybe it only gets picked up when the mower is level or tilted left?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I thought of this an "oopsasecond" after I hit "send" when I replied earlier, but how about water in the fuel tank? That might only get into the fuel line when the mower's tilted right?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I had the same issue with a 20 YO Tecumseh powered rider. Thought it was needle and seat issue. Replaced to no avail. Found it to be a pinhole in the float. Replaced and it runs like new.

Typically the only things that are effected by level would be fuel delivery system and possibly a wire thats hanging and only grounds out with a certain tilt. Engine stall should be instantaneous, not a few seconds after tilting.

I still go with a bad float.

Thumper

Reply to
Thumper350

It starts to sound like it's dieing after just a few seconds.

It also starts to come back to life after just a few seconds.

In the past the problem seemed to be caused by debris collecting on the throttle arm and worked fine after I cleaned it off. Right now it's difficult to see it because the air cleaner covers it and I just don't have a large expanse of concrete etc where I could try running it without the air cleaner for test purposes.

I'll check that. I have removed/disabled many of the "safety" features as they pretty much prevent me from being able to start the engine and it's a real pain-in-the-butt to have to shut the thing off so I can move something out of the way etc so the ground lever on the handle is taped into the run (open) position. As a matter-of-fact I have quite a collection of parts that used to be on the lawnmower and it just keeps getting better the more junk I remove ;-) Come to think of it I'll bet you are right and it's the grounding lever that is hitting something when tilted one way.

The air cleaner is clean and I've tried it with it removed (short period) and it was the same.

Reply to
Ulysses

Thanks, that is sounding like the likely villian now.

I recently had the gas tank off and completely empty but I'll check it again. Seems unlikely but it's sure worth a look.

No points (electronic igniton--yea, they had it way back then) but I'll check for loose bolts (again).

Reply to
Ulysses

LMAO

You know, that would actually probabaly work.

Reply to
Ulysses

I will look.

Reply to
Ulysses

Is that one without all the stupid safety features to prevent liberals from hurting themselves and sueing someone?

Reply to
Ulysses

Ok, good. I'll check the float thoroughly. I would expect it to have some gas in it from what you described.

Reply to
Ulysses

I wonder what the hell happened to my original post?

I can only find responses.

Hope I didn't miss any :-|

Reply to
Ulysses

Yeah, but on rereading what I wrote, I shoulda said, "only gets picked up when the mower is tilted right." Corrected it with another post.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

You might need a Republican lawnmower.

All you have to do is replace the wheels on the right side. Get a set of 8" or 12" and off you go.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Well, I removed the grounding lever and disconnected it from the ignition coil. I removed the float bowl and the float and checked for holes etc and found nothing. I checked the float bowl gasket. I removed the gas tank and emptied it and cleaned it out thoroughly. I replaced two missing screws that hold on the sheet metal. I cleaned debris from around the linkage. It still dies when tilted to the right.

My next (and maybe final) try will be to replace the carburator with one from a Coleman generator (which is identical except for the linkage. Actually is the same engine except for the crankshaft and the oil fill and a couple of other minor details. If this doesn't work then I guess it's time to get a Honda engine.

Reply to
Ulysses