OT: microwave cooking time URGENT

If I double the amount of food in a microwave, logic tells me that I should double the cooking time. But is logic correct or should I only increase the time by 50% or whatever.
I need to know by lunchtime today and haven't the time to experiment!
--

Chris

On 06/12/16 08:07, Chris Hogg wrote:

Probably double except for very small quantities. Your best bet is to probe it with a meat thermometer until it is actually hot.
"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

http://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/27737/rule-of-thumb-for-cooking-multiple-things-in-a-microwave-at-the-same-time

Yes, if the food absorbs microwaves.

Nope.

You do actually. If you increase the time by 50% and it isnt cooked, you can do the extra 50% and end up with the result you need.
To be honest it very much depends on the stuff being microwaved and how even the cooking is. Normally there has to be a stand time for larger portions as the microwaves do not get to the centre, being attentuated by the stuff. Thus in this case the heat has to propagate through the stuff and hence the internal heat is not directly from the microwave. Of course sometimes if you, say want to cook small puddings, then having more than one in there seems to take less time than if it was one big one. So actually, though its not convenient, it very much depends on the make up of the stuff you are heating and of course whether it has to all reach a certain temperature to be safe to eat. One reason I tend to tick to pre cooked items these days, and merely warm them up. In some circumstances, such as for instance sponge cakes you can end up with a rock hard centre due to the mix being fairly transparent to the microwaves and the heat is concentrated into the part that is in the same place even when its rotating. I bet you wished you had not asked, but sadly there is no one answer to this one. Brian
--
----- -

If you're just heating something up then yes, usually. But not always. Maybe mention what you're cooking.
NT
On 12/6/2016 8:38 AM, Brian Gaff wrote:

+1.
What are you cooking?
On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 11:42:22 +0000, newshound

Nothing sophisticated: salmon steaks, frozen peas, frozen sweet corn, but three times my usual quantities. All worked out OK; nobody died!
--

Chris

On Tue, 06 Dec 2016 08:07:51 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

With pre-cooked packaged food such as curries from the supermarket the instructions just tell you to add the times together.
Better if all the packs in at the same time have the same "single pack" time or it doesn't work logically.
With several packs there is a cross over point where it is quicker to do the whole lot in the oven.
Cheers
Dave R

On 08:07 6 Dec 2016, Chris Hogg wrote:

That's very logical but it never works for me. Maybe one type of food absorbs more of the microwaves than the other and gets unexpectedly hotter.
I have to cook one thing in then microwave and then another afterwards which is so annoying that I'm getting a second microwave to cook things at the same time and choose how long for each one.

Does for me when doing potatoes in the microwave.

Yeah, I can get that effect with a full meal on a plate being reheated, you can end up with the meat being very overcooked, particularly with a chook etc.

Yeah, I have two myself. Mainly so I can reheat a plate of stuff in one and do the cup of frozen peas/corn/etc and the cup of water for the gravy in another. But that's because I know the time needed for the two cups of veg and gravy and its simpler to do the reheating of the meal separately given that the extra microwave was cheap from the garage/yard/boot sales for the convection function it has that the other one doesn’t have.

I must be very unusual to have reached the age of 52 before I'd ever heard the word "chook" as colloquial slang for hen/chicken. It was only when my wife kept referring to chooks and said "surely *everyone* knows that a chook is a chicken" that I realised I must have missed out on some vital lesson :-)
On Tuesday, 6 December 2016 19:54:20 UTC, NY wrote:

Something to do with a pre-Neighbours generation?
Owain

Isn't it *strine*?
--
Tim Lamb

I doubt anyone here would say that except with immigrants.

No lesson involved for me. More likely the word chicken showed up in a lesson here.
On 19:23 6 Dec 2016, Rod Speed wrote:

Have you, er, wiped down your microwave since you posted that photo of it looking just a little bit grubby? Please tell me you have. :-)

Nope.

Fraid not. You are free to hang yourself or something |-(
Many thanks to all for the suggestions. In the end I multiplied up the times, and subtracted a little to be on the safe side. Worked out OK. Thanks again.
--

Chris