OT: Mathematical Conundrum II

6 + e^(i*pi) pence.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Stay tuned. They'll get progressively trickier. :->

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

FINALLY! The correct answer. ;-)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

That smacks of the iteration process used to calculate a square root. If you're going to use this method here, you'd "split the difference" and make your next "guess" 5p and try again, arriving at the correct answer in only two "guesses" as opposed to the six guesses implied by your method. :-)

You'd have to be pretty innumerate to not be able to "Guess and Test" your way to the correct answer. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

It's the "in your head" bit that stumps me. I did it in about 10 seconds with by adding two simultaneous equations to eliminate one of the two variables and hence give a value for the other one. But I needed it to write it down to see the equations in front of me. It's the same with arithmetic. I can do any calculation as long as I have a pen and paper, but I need to write it down because I can't visualise the units, tens, hundreds columns and the carry digits as I add up each of them in turn.

I've always admired people who can do mental arithmetic and can keep a running total as they add a series of multi-digit numbers together: without the ability to see what I'm doing as I go along, I'm utterly lost.

I think it's because I've never been able to do (for example) 15+27 as a single calculation, but as and iterative process: "5 and 7 is 12: write down

2 in units and carry 1 to tens; 1 and 2 and (carried) 1 is 4 - answer 42".
Reply to
NY

So he's right!

Reply to
Jim_S

In message , Cursitor Doom writes

Three men go to a pub for a meal. Total bill is thirty pounds so they each put in a tenner. Waitress realises bill should only be 25 pounds so, not being able to divide 5 by three, she gives the men one pound each and pockets two pounds.

The three men have paid (3x9) 27 pounds, the waitress has pocketed 2 pounds - where is the other pound?

Reply to
News

Couldn't you mentally break 15+27 into 27+10+5 thus giving you the easily calculable intermediate stage of 37+5 and the easy final answer of 42 ?

Reply to
Albert Zweistein

It doesn't exist, because your wording is deliberately intended to misdirect.

They put £30 on the table. She returned £3, leaving £27 on the table. She took £2, leaving £25 on the table. The wording suggests that her £2 came out of that £3, leaving the missing £1.

Reply to
Adrian

Or, even quicker and easier, 15 + 30 = 45 - 3 = 42.

Reply to
Adrian

Clever the way phraseology can mask the truth. £25 for actual bill (£30 - £5), £3 for men (£1 each), £2 for opportunist waitress. £25 + £3 + £2 = £30

Reply to
Albert Zweistein

UR Deep Thought AICMFP!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Actually thinking about it both our suggestions involve retaining an intermediate answer in the mind which is then operated on once more, no doubt we both find that easy but the OP said he can't do that. Different people have different capabilities.

Reply to
Albert Zweistein

Either of these methods is dead easy when you can see the equations before your eyes. Trying to do it "blind" without writing down what you are doing is where I seem to have a complete mental block.

Reply to
NY

Yeah I get it, I can't whistle in tune because of a mental block. I'm pretty good at mental arithmetic but I'd rather be able to whistle.

Reply to
Albert Zweistein

Same here! I also struggle sometimes with the initial process of formulating the original real-world problem into an equation (or equations). Only once I'm into the pure math realm do I feel at home.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Fortunately, there's usually a pin to prevent activation in these circumstances.

Reply to
GB

Yes damn clever that, the way that the wording makes it seem that 30 has to be part of the final equation and neglects to mention the pubs slice of the pie at all (which is critical) yet seems at first sight to be a logical argument. So we end up with:- men (3 * -9) = -27 and [pub (+25) + waitress (+2)] = +27. so it's +27 and -27 that balance out with not a 30 to be seen. This is quite trivial but cunningly hidden in the words of the original posting which could be rephrased as a man walked into a pub with 27 units and gave the pub 25 units and the waitress 2 units. I'm waiting for my dinner to finish cooking. Can you tell?

Reply to
Albert Zweistein

Its 5d and £1 5d. Pence are old money so there are 12 pence in a shilling so its not a shilling..

Reply to
dennis

That's a good one. I like it. :-)

Reply to