OT: Market Reaction to Qasi's Budget

JNugent snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote

Yeah, I should have said you should be using percentages, not fractions.

I wasn't saying anything about that, JUST saying that it makes no sense to use percentages and fractions.

Nope. I was JUST saying that it makes no sense to use percentages and fractions.

Reply to
Rod Speed

JNugent snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote

Yes to the seasonality, no to the fast fashion.

Jeans, T shirts, cargo pants etc are nothing even remotely like fast fashion.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Expensive imported luxury goods don't benefit many ordinary people in this country though.

Buying chocolate biscuits that are made in this country benefits the entire supply chain, as well as paying VAT.

Reply to
Andrew

Then I suggest you take a careful look at the VAT breakdown on your next big shop and you might be surprised at what carries VAT

Reply to
Andrew

VAT does apply to certain foods that people tend to eat a fair bit of.

Reply to
Andrew

*Makes note on shopping list*! :)
Reply to
The Other John

Despite that, those items frequently appear in "the sales". Classic Levis or Wranglers, maybe not.

T-shirts can fall out of fashion quite rapidly depending on the design and illustration.

Reply to
JNugent

By "foodstuffs", I wasn't talking about Jaffa Cakes!

Reply to
JNugent

Depends on how you define Expensive imported luxury goods.

Its bullshit with the best smartphones and tech.

No, because no cocoa beans are grown in the UK.

Reply to
Rod Speed

JNugent snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote

Yes, but not for the reason you suggested.

Just as true for everything I eat without exception so it works fine to only buy it on special and buy enough of it so that it will last till its on special next time.

Its far from clear why supermarkets operate like that, but they clearly do.

Don't buy those, but I doubt it is true that they never are in sales.

But the plain ones don't and the sellers of those do have sales and I only buy them when they are in a sale too.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Pity about potato crisps, roasted or salted nuts and icecream.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Bad example. Jaffa cakes are the item that McVities went to court against HMRC over and demonstrated that they were cakes and not chocolate biscuits and so carried no VAT.

Reply to
SteveW

Ah well... at least I remembered the case, however imperfectly.

The real point is that cash-strapped households, acting rationally, will tend to shop for foodstuffs which are not in the allegedly "luxury" class and will, ideally, cook "from scratch".

Reply to
JNugent

Though it's a bit difficult to see why biscuits are considered a luxury item but cake isn't.

Reply to
Joe

Really? The 'we can now afford that new TV' sort of thing?

Well, they're hardly going to be able to put it in some tax efficient savings scheme.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

No surprise Turnip would have his own very eccentric view on what running the country consists of.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

No shit, Sherlock?

And it has failed countless times too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Pity about icecream.

In fact they mostly eat taxed junk food.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I couldn't comment on that. I'd need more data in order to be able to do so. But I readily defer to those who have the experience.

Reply to
JNugent

That has been endlessly researched by those looking at diet and health.

Reply to
Rod Speed