OT: Look North Leeds bias

And you are saying they aren't?

Have you actually counted the number of non white faces in parliament, etc?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm not advocating anything. Nor am I complaining about a BBC regional news programme - as they're all poor, due to lack of budget. The BBC prefers to spend its programme budget on cookery programmes, etc. Seems it's what the public want.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There is a so called local TV station in London. It is total rubbish - just as I'd expected.

I'm talking about what is *possible*. Vastly different with practice.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well they safe the proof of the pudding....

Reply to
whisky-dave

don't think we have progressed far, we are but 6 years from a total melt down of everything we, as workers, voters and citizens have achieved over the last 200 years. The incumbent rulers have set in motion a plan for the rolling back of all our achievements over the last 200 years. You see Bill we are not the type of people to want fight for change, unless its the (W)right whingers setting of on their quest for domination of the working class. The last time I saw any fight in this brave country was the petrol dispute, where hauliers set out to cause as much trouble as possible for the whole country, but as we know, that was as political as it gets. Set fire to the mountains yes, but no tyres on the motorway please.

Reply to
critcher

Nope.

But you are trying to do that by not allowing hordes of non white immigrants into the country. The Victorians didn?t allow that.

And now allow hordes of non white immigrants into the country whether the likes of you like that or not.

Reply to
JHY

I don't, its how I look at the applicants for anything other than a trivial job that anyone can do.

I wouldn't do that with those whose qualifications are no use to anyone much.

Reply to
JHY

The Chancellor of the Exchequer has a second in history.

Reply to
Martin

Sure, but not only is he from a different era entirely, he is also one of those who are guaranteed a job in politics where what you are qualified in is completely irrelevant to your prospects.

Reply to
JHY

Most management jobs in UK are treated the same way, sadly.

Reply to
Martin

Clearly hasn't helped Les' kids any.

Reply to
JHY

Ah OK - I have heard to that.

Reply to
Yellow

because job vacancies are few and far between.

Reply to
Martin

That's bullshit. Britain has one of the lowest unemployment rates of the majors in europe.

Reply to
JHY

Indeed, unless they are lucky and an opportunity turns up, they will have to take low level work where no one cares whether or not they have a degree, or what in. Then they can work their way up to a point where the degree helps but because they have proved themselves, no one cares what subject it is in.

Problem I have seen with some youngsters, is that they think once they have a degree in something, they are entitled to get a decently paid "graduate" job but as we are swamped (or should I say "swarming with") graduates, there just aren't enough of that type of job to go round - and there never has been.

Kids! Get a degree in Engineering or a science or a profession. Yes, they are hard but you will get a well paid job!

After being made redundant from a clerical job, my friend's 35 year old daughter completed her 1st degree last year (and she got a 1st, her proud father tells me) and has had two agency jobs since, working for the local authority doing administration - not paying that much more than the minimum wage. She was quite disappointed but soldiered on and she has just landed a full time job in the field she studied in - something to do with pharmacy and chemistry - and the company bit her hand off to come and work for them.

Reply to
Yellow

Is the issue perhaps that people who have children they cannot afford are more likely to have family ethics that mean those children will also be having children they cannot afford - thus the whole tribe end up taking significantly more out of the tax system than they put in.

And further, because in work benefits top people up with cash sufficient for their needs there is no incentive for those people to take on training for higher paid work or more work (many on in-work benefits work part time) to make ends meet.

Hence reducing benefits for more than 2 kids and hence reducing benefits for those in work.

Until we correct this balance more people and/or more children will never guarantee more tax revenue.

Reply to
Yellow

Dentistry, Accounting, Law.. Licenses to print money

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Problem is, unless you're interested in being an engineer or scientist, you won't be much use (if you manage to stick the course, and get the qualification).

I can't think of a single exception amongst my peers, all of us were sticking things into power sockets from the moment we managed to crawl over to one undetected, and taking things apart to see how they worked.

I'm not suggesting you are born technically minded, but I think it's rare to acquire that interest after childhood ?

The real problem is few young people have a clear vision of what they to do as a career before deciding what course their higher education should take, and that's certainly nothing new.

Reply to
Mark Carver

That simply isn't true. What is true is that the majority of employers want people with appropriate skills.

I was pissed off with my job the other week and used a job search engine to check a 20 mile radius for the obvious couple of jobs that I have the skills to apply for and there were a dozen. If I was prepared to work in London (I am not keen and not desperate as I live on the coast and do not wish to move or to commute) there were a hundred more.

I then did a general search for a 10 mile radius around my home and came up with 2 within walking distance (3 miles) that would be worth a punt.

And all that was withing my lunch break while not really trying as I had no real intention of applying for another job.

Reply to
Yellow

I became really interested in physics when I was about 13 and have always put it down to my hate of biology lessons.

If you were not good at science it was CSE Chemistry and Biology. If you were middling (me) it was Biology and Chemistry O'Levels. If you were good, it was Physics and Chemistry O'Levels.

And I hated hated hated biology.

So I worked hard (I am not academic and was capable, just normally not inclined), as hard as I could, and aced the streaming exams meaning I was allowed to take Physics instead of Biology - and I loved it!

I loved Chemistry too but as my older brother was already taking that path I decided physics was for me.

And when we were 16 and it was time for careers advice I told the chap I liked physics and I liked cooking and he said he though he could get me a work experience placement at the local Machine Tool factory so off I went - and I loved it!

Then in a way that only cocky 16 year olds can, on my last day, I asked for an apprenticeship. They took some persuading as they had never taken on a girl before, but they did eventually agree - and the rest is history.

I think you are right in that you need to be interested and you also need an aptitude.

I wanted to play with trains and meccano as a child but was never allowed to and was actually physically removed from the room when my father and brother had the train set out as I had a tendency to fiddle and destroy - they bought me my own Thomas Tank but it was wind up and just went round and round a small track.

I wasn't allowed near my brother's scalextric set either . :-)

They did buy me a cash register toy, I was told I was only allowed to play with it on the condition I did *not* take it apart.

So as I said - I think you are right - but I did not understand this interest for what it was. But luckily - I just hated biology.

And to this day, I still can't get things back together again once I have taken them apart which I why I stick to electrics and software. Doesn't have springs that go boing, never to be seen again.

I agree with that too - that this is nothing new as I have no real idea what job I wanted until a path unfolded before me and I picked the forked in road, taking me on to the next fork and another decision.

That said, had the apprenticeship opportunity not come up, I was planning on take A'Levels in maths, physics and chemistry which would have lead me down a road that was still quite obviously useful - which takes us back full circle.

I do not care whether kids study engineering or nursing or pure science or accountancy or law - we do not need 100s and 100s of "media study" degree educated children every single year and I pick that as my step son is doing "media studies" - sigh, but out of my hands! Why could he not do maths? He is really really good at maths! And he could then "down grade".

Reply to
Yellow