OT: Look North Leeds bias

Tonight's episode included:

  1. A very one-sided three minute item claiming that immigrants and their descendants are 'disproportionately affected' by the horrid Tory cuts. Get the chuffing violin out! What about the indigenous poor?

  1. A three minute item about the extreme shortage of school places in Leeds. This being due to 'unprecedented movement into the area'. Just for once the classroom shots were honest, and showed that three quarters of the kids were immigrants' children.

  2. A four minute item about a sportsman, a skier, who was no different from many others except he was black. The interviewer tried to lead him to whine about citizenship problems but he didn't bite.

The only other major item was a bit at the end about the Special Olympics, which it would have been reasonable to lead with.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

These things are only issues because they have been made out to be of course. Self fulfilling prophesies R Us at work.

It is unfortunately true that although the public feel enough is enough with immigration from anywhere, the government wants legitimate immigrants to work and pay taxes as the indigenous population are not having enough kids to replace the work force. This is why I found it odd that the recent budget tried to restrict children to 2, as this will surely reduce the tax collected in the long run, making the poor even poorer since the tax collected will go down. I do not think the rise in official retirement age will compensate for this at all. Here is what I propose. We should all have our retirement first, when young, but work till we die. Problem solved. :-) Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

There might be a flaw in that argument.....

Reply to
Davey

Brian-Gaff posted

Nonsense. Youth unemployment is a serious problem throughout the UK. And don't tell me that none of them are willing to work, because it's a lie. Two of my sons who graduated after the 2008 economic crash have *never* been able to find regular employment. There are hundreds of applicants for every job.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

If there really are so many immigrants in your area - you're suggesting three quarters - surely the BBC should be giving 'them' 3/4 of all coverage, since they'll pay a TV licence like any other?

It really would be bias if the BBC ignored them and concentrated on 'whites' only.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Bill defended me so now I'll defend him - although I know he is quite capable of doing it himself.

I saw the same programme and had the same thoughts, especially the first two items. The immigrants being affected by Tory cuts entirely interviewed non-whites (largely up against a wall) with no attempt to balance the comments and no opportunity for anyone from local or national government to defend the situation. It was just moan and complaint, one after another. As I remember the interviewer was a new Asian reporter they have 'gained.'

As for lack of school places due to immigrants, these are mainly eastern European. I have been in several towns around West Yokshire in the last week or so and was surprised how many 'ethnic' eastern European food shops there are now on the High Streets - the most amazing was Selby which has almost been taken over. There was an item in the 'i' yesterday that stated that by 2050 the UK will have the biggest population in Europe - and we are one of the smallest. Now I wonder where that increase will come from.......?

Just remember, you could fit everone in the World on the Isle of Wight - bit cosy though!.

My wife says - and I agree with her - she is getting fed up with BBC reporting as it is getting more and more tabloid/red top, and local news presentation is significantly more so. If Sky can deliver what appears to be a relatively balanced news presentation its about time someone told the BBC they should too.

Please note I am not being racist, it is just the unbalanced presentation that annoys me.

To go off at a tangent, did anyone notice that the BBC had a reporter at Cocquelles yesterday showing how the 'illegals' were getting into Eurotunnel? He was there most of the day, but when it got to the evening news they had a different reporter (the BBC Paris correspondent no less) showing the same holes in the fence. Money no object methinks?

Reply to
Woody

Out of interest, what are their degrees in?

Reply to
Yellow

Did you see the fence? Even the deer here get through that stuff.

Reply to
Davey

I hope you have the courage of your convictions not to do fit any aerials for 'immigrants' or take their money.

Reply to
Tony

How many hours a day should a reporteer work?

Reply to
charles

The TV licence is collected nationally, so the relevant figure is the proportion of immigrants nationally. It is not possible with current infrastructure to broadcast different programmes to different areas of the same city or county, depending on each area's ethnic make-up. I'm surprised you don't know that.

Yes, agreed. It's a 'given' I would have thought.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I have no objection to any individual who lives here and benefits this country. My concerns are about the demographics: the future of the country; the chance of sectarian warfare; the loss of the British way of life.

But even apart from that, I do have the courage of my convictions. My first conviction is that I should earn as much as I can. Other convictions are secondary to that.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

So no point in having regions at all BBC wise then? After all, the licence doesn't know if you are Scots etc - only where you live.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

History. No, they didn't expect to get jobs as historians, before you wheel that one out.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

So what did they expect to get jobs doing?

Reply to
Davey

My youndger daughter, with a history degree, became a Civil Service "fast streamer". Mind you that was 20 years ago.

Reply to
Charles Hope

What is a Civil Service "fast streamer"? I am intrigued.

Reply to
Yellow

I am actually genuinely curious because not being about to find a full time job within 7 or 8 years is quite impressive so I assumed there was must be some kind of weird restriction that was preventing them finding work, like a degree in dog studies or something, and a determination to only accept work in that subject area.

What sort of jobs did they think they would get with a history degree. Again, I am genuinely curious.

As it happens I have a work colleague who has a degree in Ancient History, He had no idea what he wanted to do so took the degree because the subject interested him (which of course he is still paying for) and found few opportunities so he started doing electro/mechanical contracting (no qualifications but practical experience as his father is an electrical contractor) to pay the bills. And as fortune would have it he ended up contracting where I work. He is now paying himself to take an online HNC in Electrical Engineering, which he is doing in his own time, while he learns on the job.

Reply to
Yellow

The future of this country ....

Mr Pounder Esquire

Graduate intake - destined for higher things.

Reply to
Charles Hope