OT: Look North Leeds bias

It's possible technically and financially to have regions, but not to cater for small enclaves. I would have thought you'd understand that. You seem unable to differentiate between a region that might encompass several counties and a part of a city that might only be a dozen streets.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I got CSE History and I became an aerial installer.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

A History degree (or any of the 'moderns' such as Geography etc) simply shows you are capable of studying and churning it out in the exam, plus that you have some intelligence.

IMLE people with History degrees often end up in Personnel - sorry, HR - sorry, People Management or running the training deprtment.

Reply to
Woody

Be honest - you mean that 3/4 of the kids were not white.

Reply to
ARW

Fools ran the same line when those unspeakable Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Vikings, Romans, Normans etc etc etc showed up. Bit late to be hyperventilating about that now.

Reply to
JHY

No surprise that employers are more interested in those who had enough of a clue to get qualified in areas what would be useful for getting a job after they had graduated.

Still too stupid to get qualified in an area that would be useful job wise.

I wouldn't employ them either.

Reply to
JHY

Anything is possible. You could have a regional programme per transmitter. Inserts to that programme from individual towns.

And you seem unable to realise that what you consider 'bias' may not be to another.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes that's right. How many non-English speaking white kids were there I've no idea, but it's well known that the kids with English as their first language don't do as well as they otherwise would if the teacher is struggling to deal with a load of non-English speakers.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

So you advocate special TV programmes for each ethnicity? How will that help integration?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Clearly what the BBC broadcast in the past didn't do that.

Reply to
JHY

Short memories. In the '60s BBC tv broadcast a weekly programem in Urdu called (in English) "Make Yourself at Home".

Reply to
Charles Hope

In the '80s BBC Radio Scotland broadcast a programme in Chinese. I was 'up North' one evening, and BBC Radio Highland was broadcasting in Gaelic at the same time as BBC Radio Scotland was broadcasting in Chinese. I had with me a colleague from London who found it highly amusing.

Reply to
Alan White

[snip]

You clearly do not have access to local TV then else you wouldn't make the comment?

Reply to
Woody

In the context of Bill's complaint, that would only make sense if there is an aerial which can discriminate between broadcasts from the BBC and all other broadcasters.

I haven't heard of one like that. Perhaps because it doesn't exist?

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

You make my point for me. I don't want this country to be cast back to Victorian or any other outdated values. We have progressed.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Discriminate? No way! A non-starter, if ever there was one.

Reply to
Davey

A lot of polititions seem to have history qualifications, it's what enables them to keep saying we must learn from these mistakes. Which means they can just keep making mistakes because they are learning from them. :-0

Reply to
whisky-dave

A friend of mine has a history degree studied teh Spanish Civil War he now works on cross rail, cycle curior before that. Some people have an interest in some things that just won't bring in the money.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Those that are white here are mostly Polish or other eastern european origin.

Reply to
whisky-dave

A wee bit harsh, I think.

However there is a real problem. An employer will look at a job applicant's employment record. If the employer sees that the applicant has never been in regular employment it will count against them. There will be an assumption, possibly unconscious, that if other people were not prepared to give regular employment to the applicant there must be a problem.

Reply to
Peter Duncanson