OT: Landline or not?

I was only really talking about the scale of battery required to give the 15W for 24 hours, I agree a UPS isn't ideal for that, but on several occasions my router/switch/DECT/Pi have run for several hours on battery.

I have a bigger UPS for that, takes 4x NP18-12

Would require e.g. 3x 6Ah LXT though, not cheap

Andy Burns

There are often deals for the 5Ah for about £50, but Aldi is about half that price. This application doesn't need the high current drain of power tool batteries so knockoffs would likely be fine.

If you want to run for much longer time then you either need a bigger lead acid or a bigger LiFePO4. The latter are about £130/kWh in volume so that's not implausible. The main trouble is they aren't a commodity and there's not a convenient form factor, so you end up into custom enclosure territory. And they're larger, so the enclosure is more cumbersome/expensive.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

That's an extremely good use. Or they could smash them and tumble them for decorative gravel drives.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Interesting Andy. so a 15 times uplift in customers and/or speeds is possible. Bit like ADSL taking copper from 64kbps to 10Mbps...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

OOI what are you running Asterisk on?

I am toying with whether to move to IP phones or not. I currently have an analogue PABX, that supports 4 outside lines. My router has two ATA ports, and can handle up to 12 SIP accounts. So the "easy" option is port the analogue lines to SIP, and setup the router to look like a pair of analogue lines, and plug them into the PABX. That with a soft phone on the business SIP "line" would probably do the job without any hassle.

Just need to fight the urge to make it more sophisticated than it needs to be :-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Another common use is for "free" ballast for container ships returning to China... they use if for road building.

Reply to
John Rumm

The "easy" way round it, it with a conventional mains UPS. All the loads fed through that using their normal power supply bricks etc. The downside is all the extra cost and loss of efficiency of running the mains inverter in the UPS which will give less run time.

You can get individual DC "UPS" style boxes designed to power single devices. But then you may need several. Perhaps there is scope for a DC to DC multipoint UPS with say a pair of 12V batteries in series and then a number buck converter "taps" to pick of a number of lower voltage supplies for the equipment.

Reply to
John Rumm

I'm curious what y'all use home PABXes for. Are you running a call centre from home or something?

With SIP a single device (eg DECT base or ATA) can terminate multiple VOIP accounts, so having multiple incoming/outgoing lines is easy, as well as ways to select which handsets ring and where outgoing calls go.

Aside from that, what PABX features do you use? Even in a large household I can't see there being a lot of people nattering on landlines concurrently, given the existence of mobiles and Zoom/etc?

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I've ended up with two 12v golf trolley batteries, one lead acid and the other Li-On. I've also long had an inverter which I used to use in the car when needing to charge my laptop. A cheap USB socket with crocodile clips finalises the arrangement and I plug a 4 way adapter into the inverter. Not fully tested how much the batteries will provide but the LiOn still has lots of life in it after 4.5hrs on the hilly golf course.

Reply to
AnthonyL

An HP microserver. It does a few other things too. It also handles the doorbell (rings all the phones with a special cadence, with an option to dial a code to suppress doorbell on a phone if required), and allows remore unlocking of the front door both internally and externally (with

2FA).
Reply to
Bob Eager

We have ten IP phones, one in each room (apart from the loos and bathroom). We have ten numbers (eight in use, the correspondence with phones is a coincidence); one for general use, one for each family member, one for a memo service, one for the front door lock, etc... Phones ring with a different cadence for each family member (the Morse for their initial, as it happens).

My wife sometimes works at home, one son nearly always does. I also get calls. Not unusual for multiple incoming calls.

It's a big, 120 year old house with a strange layout. Impossible to call to people on a different floor (or even on the same floor) and be sure they will hear you. So an internal phone system is VERY useful.

You can set an alarm call on any phone, and it'll call you back at the specified time. Multipe people (well, three) use that a lot.

You can dial a code to enable a bell in the garden. Useful when having a barbecue so that you hear new guests when they ring.

Call parking allows me to answer in the living room, park the call, then go upstairs and take it in the office, when I need to refer to soemthing.

Obviously there is voicemail, with email advice included.

Call recording can be useful!

The system allows three digit shortcode for commonly called numbers such as people's mobiles.

You can 'page' someone by making all the phones ring with their cadence, if you have no clue which room they're in.

Reply to
Bob Eager

On 06/07/2023 12:18, Theo wrote: to be :-)

It allows me to run 8 separate phones around the house - ordinary cheap conventional phones and have three doorphones front front back and side doors.

It was also useful to contact someone at the far end of the house to say their coffee was brewed

It also allows me to integrate SIP and landline, although the SIP is no longer used much

DECT only works if you don't have foil clad walls in a big house. Wires always work

Its as conevneint to route a single line over wires. When DECT doesnt work

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There are a few features that I use that make it worthwhile...

It lets me have wired phones in most rooms, and choose which of those ring based on the incoming line. So the "home" line will ring most rooms downstairs and our bedroom, but not the kids bedrooms or my office or workshop. The business line rings the office and workshop but not the home phones.

There is isolation between users - so if someone is on a call, someone else can't pick up a phone and interrupt.

And since you can also ring one extension from another, it is handy for calling the kids for dinner etc!

There are also the odd occasions where it is handy to be able to transfer a call to another location.

Indeed once you are into the digital domain, you get much more flexibility. Handling multiple POTS lines with "normal" handsets is not so easy without a PABX.

We have very little concurrent use here. Mobile coverage here is poor - especially in the summer.

I prefer not having DECT phones all over the place to get lost, run flat, beep at you etc. Although we have one in the kitchen for wire free convenience, and one in the workshop to save running a audio pair out there. (My posh headset is also DECT between the base station and the headset, but the base connects to a POTS phone extension line, my mobile, and my PC - and so unifies access to all possible channels).

Reply to
John Rumm

Another issue is if you have an always on trickle charger (except during power cut etc) the trickle voltage is a bit more than 12 V (soomething like 13.2 to 13.8V IIRC.

(there are modules available that will charge a lead acid battery allowing you to have a "UPS" on 12 volt kit rather than using a APC UPS which is electrically more complex than the above.)

Will the ONT, Router and DECT phoen take kindly to 13.2 to 13.8V when there is mains power and then running off 12V during a power cut and then back up to 13.2 - 13.8 V when power resumes?

Reply to
SH

Having watched your YouTube talk

I'd say it's a very interesting and impressive system.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Almost certainly. Most of these devices will be adapted for car use which is up to 14.6V on charge. And will have internal voltage stabilisers where necessary

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Serious error. All shortcuts have disappeared. Screen. Mind. Both are blank.

Reply to
Sn!pe

Both aluminium and copper clad steel have been tried for wiring.

Corrosion can be an issue. Aluminium doesn't conduct as well even when it is new.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Thank you! Pity that one wasn't recorded 'live' as it was more fun!

Reply to
Bob Eager

The *you* aren't hosting it yourself, someone else is, another regular outgoing.

Worked fine for me a month ago, as did the county council library wifi earlier today. Try accepting their t&c's opening page first if you haven't been there for a while.

Reply to
Andrew