OT: Landline or not?

Maybe you can see it that way. Apparently Zen would tell you your SIP credentials if you asked, but were later told not to give them out (by whom I don't know).

I'd search the file for terms like 'sip', 'voip', 'phone', 'stun' etc and see if there are any relevant settings.

I think they are typically provisioned by the router talking to a TR-069 server, so it may be that TR-069 provisioned settings don't get saved in the exported settings file. But you can try it and see.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Most ISP supplied routers have a 'dumbed down' interface which restricts what actions you can perform. So they might disable the VoIP setting screens when they remotely configure a router for their digital voice service. You might even find that all the VoIP settings remain visible in plain text in the backup files.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

How strange.

There are probably over 100 instances in total of those. However, of perhaps more interest is that a lot of that text file looks like gibberish as it's Base64 encoded. This includes, for example: B64FILE:telefon_misc

Is it possible that the Base64 code has been encrypted by Zen, and only they can decrypt it?

There are 18 lines where TR069 can be found. One is tr069discover_unrestrictly = no; Would that be relevant to keeping something hidden?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

AIUI £1.4bn /before/ netting off the cost of recovering the cable and then the copper

Reply to
Robin

What about email addresses ?. You cannot easily change the email address that you have given a supplier unless you can still make use of the old one, because they will send a confirm link to the old address. If you cease broadband with ISP X but use their email hosting, is there a grace period for that too ?.

Reply to
Andrew

And any battery backup kit might not be shared. Who knows ?

Reply to
Andrew

it varies, some ISPs keep the old address working for "ages", other charge per month if you want to keep it, buy a domain, you know it makes sense ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Having previous created Cellnet which they sold to ?T-mobile (AFAIK)

Reply to
Andrew

Which would be easy because there is a pole supplying his overhead copper pairs already. People whose landline is connected to 4-core SWA directly buried under their lawn and roadside verge are going to be the last people to get FTTP because of the extra complexity involved.

Reply to
Andrew

Just think of all those dead submarine telex and phone cables all around the world. Some of the older ones are lead sheathed too, I believe.

Reply to
Andrew

DO they still offer this though ?. I have been looking at their offering on their website and regardless of whether I select the BB only tab or the one that mentions phone line, the offer they show is identical, same price and speed (and slower than what I get now with BT Fibre Essentials, as it was known when I signed up)

Reply to
Andrew

Chichester Telephone exchange was built in the 60's? and is massive to allow for all the expansion needed. Most of the space is now just termination racks for all the incoming copper pairs that were used before technology really got going.

Reply to
Andrew

I once did some software development for a chap who had an exclusive contract with BT to make, supply and fit fire alarms in many of those outlying unattended exchange buildings. Nice earner.

Typically BT didn't think the existing BS5439 was good enough for them, notably manned exchanges so they had their own spec.

Reply to
Andrew

Best quality scrap copper (clean bright) is around £4/kg.

200,000 tonnes = £0.8bn

However, copper wire with insulation could be as low as around £1/kg

Let's assume mixed quality scrap at around £2/kg so 200,000 tonnes = £0.4 bn

Also if the copper is 200,000 tonnes the overall weight of any wiring or fittings could be 400,000 tonnes, to strip out and transport.

They may be forced to remove their scrap, in a leased property restoring it to the original state may be part of the contract. Removing cable from existing ducts in the road may be required to make the infrastructure fit for upgrades or other shared facilities. Overhead cables to properties would be removed to replace with fibre.

To put this in perspective it's the equivalent to around 1 month line rental for every property with a land line in the uk.

Reply to
alan_m

But there has to be a market for those metals for scrapping and recovery to make economic sense. Communications cables are changing from metal to fibre. Copper pipes are at least partially changing to plastic. Power cables will change to the cheapest for the job - possibly aluminium-based. The end for copper or aluminium will be *practical* high-temperature superconductors, but how far away these are is unknown.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Vodafone was set up by Racal Datacomms. Orange was set up by Hutchison Whampoa, aka Li Ka Shing. Cellnet was set up by BT and Securicor. It became BT Cellnet which turned into O2. Mercury One2one was sold to T-Mobile DE making T-Mobile UK. Orange was sold to France Telecom. Li Ka Shing set up Three (after selling Orange, I think). It still shows up as H3G in some places (Hutchison 3G). O2 was bought by Telefonica, who later set up Giffgaff. Virgin Mobile was originally an MVNO of T-Mobile, then merged with Virgin.net and NTL Telewest to make Virgin Media, later sold to Liberty Global. T-Mobile and Orange merged to make EE. BT bought EE making BT EE. Virgin Media merged with O2 making VMO2.

So we have four remaining real networks: BT EE VMO2 Vodafone Three

and the last two want to merge.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

A street I'm familiar with with that setup got FTTP recently (from an altnet, not Openreach). They didn't dig up the pavement to get it from the street to the house, so I think it must have been moled under the pavement. If all that's in the way is lawn then direct digging that is easy. Paving slabs are easy too. If there's hard surfaces like tarmac it's a little more disruptive, but not impossible. They only need to terminate it on an external wall, they don't need to match where the SWA comes in.

This is after all the pavements/verges have been dug up to run fibre trunks down both sides of every street. Digging is no problem for them.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I would expect so. My FritzBox! also offers the option to back up the telephony separately. If you can see the DSL username and password in the backup file, then I would expect the VOIP details to be saved. I can't back mine up as it wants a button pressed on the box and I am not near it ...

I don't know what many mean. I just set them as instructed by my voip provider.

Yes set the box up using the data from voipfone.com...

I think its also complex..

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

Base64 can be binary data, but it can also be text, eg Unicode. Try it in a decoder and see what's in there:

It could just be garbage but it might be comprehensible. It seems likely it's just a way of attaching a file into a single text file.

Not sure. I see there's a sample config file here:

and that section from line 2134 onwards has the VOIP config.

**** CFGFILE:voip.cfg

In that one the key fields are empty: username = ""; passwd = ""; registrar = ""; (registrar is the name of the SIP server to connect to)

Some of the hexdump parts of that look to be phone related files, but not VOIP:

**** BINFILE:telefon_misc **** BINFILE:phonebook **** BINFILE:calllog **** BINFILE:dect_misc **** BINFILE:fonctrl **** BINFILE:dect_eeprom **** BINFILE:dmgr_handset_user **** BINFILE:tamconf (tam=telephone answering machine)

but I think that may be because the DECT/phone socket side of things is a separate chip and they're just binary-dumping that chip's settings here.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Jeff Layman snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid wrote: [...]

There will no doubt be enormous demand for electric motors for e.g. cars. Is there a plausible replacement for copper in motor windings?

Reply to
Sn!pe