OT: Keyless ignition immobilisation?

But it doesn't free your hands. You still have to pull the handle to open the door. I suppose you could have it open an electrically operated boot.

Reply to
dennis

What happens when you both get in? which keyless fob does it use and is it disabled once the engine is started so it doesn't move while driving when one fob gives a stronger signal than the other?

Reply to
dennis

Does it put the steering lock on or can a thief smash the windows, jump in and drive off?

Reply to
dennis

Or just to warm up? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The fob which is in the possession of the person who opens the driver's door controls the seats etc. So I guess the designers have thought of what happens.

Reply to
Richard

no

some bright spark in the development department thought that they would be a good selling point

and TBH it has been. Must be some bloody lazy people about

Reply to
tim...

It does, or does so more than also holding the key and pressing the right button?

Yeahbut you can still do that with your finger tips, even when carrying a bag?

Or use a wave of the foot. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ah, 'Obviously', and that is the only link is it?

But not the same behaviour as other on Youtube where as long as they didn't open the door after stopping the engine, they could easily restart it again (without the fob).

No, but it's not about what you have done personally, it's about what can be done.

Why is that a bad thing? I can't ever remember thinking ... 'I wish those keys weren't dangling there, where I can see them and can't easily lose them?

;-)

As it happens, because she's 5' 6" and I'm 6'2" ... she, has the seat forward (not right forward note) but I do have it right back. So, when she gets out of any of our cars she puts the seat right back as otherwise it would be awkward for me to even get in and she can adjust it to her needs easier than I. I think all of these adjustments would be far quicker than any automated system.

Same with ours (but we don't have the personality function on any of our cars and it's another option I wouldn't opt for if it was more than £1). ;-)

Are you referring to remote powering of a battery dead keyfob that may have been mentioned previously? If not, a dead battery is dead, not pre EOL and so a 'dead battery' still wouldn't start a car would it (without remote / wireless powering)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Great.

I'm not sure that some actually realise they aren't in their lounge (by the way they drive / park).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

It can tell the difference?

Reply to
dennis

My younger daughter left the key on the roof as she put the two nieces in their child seats, then drove off with me to join a boat on the canal 15 miles away. Luckily here daughter found them at the edge of the road outside the house.

I cannot fathom the benefit in this or electric parking brakes that need a foot on the brake to release them, I always thought the Highway Code said one should not stop with the brake lights on but with this sort of brake there is no other way round it, other than slipping the clutch.

AJH

Reply to
news

Wasn't it Filo-Faxes in the olden days? ;-)

Phew. Isn't that a lovely feeling when you see them laying there. ;-)

I once left my wallet on top of a petrol pump at the side of Oulton Broad and sailed to Yarmouth (where I realised it was missing) and back, only to find it just where I left it, complete with cash and cards etc. Assuming it was seen there, it probably wasn't touched because it was so scruffy (one of those material ones that had mostly worn out years before). ;-)

Me neither ... it's all getting to complicated for it's own good. ;-(

"114

In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.

Law RVLR reg 27"

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

My previous car had an electric handbrake, but didn't arrive with the extra button to enable "hold mode", so I fitted the button, the newer car it's now a standard feature, works nicely if you have an automatic, you just brake to a stop, then you get a green (P) symbol rather than a red (P) symbol on the dash, then take your foot off the brake, pressure from the ABS pump holds the brakes, the brake lights are off so not annoying anyone, if you're stopped for "too long" the ABS unit can start to overheat, at which point it activates the electric parking brake (rear wheels only) instead.

Reply to
Andy Burns

A nice feature on my hybrid Jazz is that once the engine is anything more than slightly warm, it stops when you brake to a halt, e.g. at traffic lights. The annoying feature is that if you put the handbrake on and take your foot off the brake to make the stop lights go out, the engine starts again.

To achieve the "eco" result of engine off and no stop lights, you have to turn the engine off with the key. Then, of course, you have to go into Park and restart manually.

Reply to
newshound

Does it have a 'neutral' (I'm guessing 'park' would be too hard a stop at that point)?

Great. That's 'progress' for you. ;-)

Of course you do, crazy. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

No, but >>> That doesn't seem to be the case according to the Youtube links >>> offered elsewhere? is contrary to my experience. You started this thread to find out the experience of others.

So, if I can do it, it cannot be done? Didn't realise I was *that* good

- thanks!

I didn't say it was a bad thing, I used that as an example of a benefit of keyless. Just as easy to lose your keys as it is for me to lose mine.

I doubt you or your wife can precisely position the steering wheel (height, distance) , seat (distance, height, inclination and lumbar support) and wing mirrors (both) every time quicker than an automated system.

Your lack of personality function is noted for future reference.

Research NFC.

Reply to
Richard

Richard

That doesn't explain how it tells the difference when both fobs are in/near the car. What if she is standing next to you near the drivers door when you open it? It can't wait for you to get in and sit or if it does make a mistake someone could get hurt.

Reply to
dennis

Sometimes, one has to just get on with things simply working. I have had no problems yet.

Reply to
Richard

Sure makes a change from having a simple on-off switch. No speed options, no pause, no auto-parking. And that was luxury compared to some I've seen.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr