OT: John Lewis ad.

If you've not seen it (sorry Brian) look out for it. Bohemian Rhapsody.
Quite the best ad I've seen in years - and not even Xmas.
--
*Just give me chocolate and nobody gets hurt

On Sat, 08 Sep 2018 12:22:40 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

It is excellent. Saw it a few days ago - presumably this extra one is because of the Waitrose/JL rebranding.
On 08/09/2018 12:56, Bob Eager wrote:

If its the version with kids singing it then it's total shite!
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

I don’t think it is shite, technically it is quite a well made production and I’m sure the youngsters had a good time being involved. However after all that it just enough another commercial that has resorted to the unimaginative “let’s put Kids in and appeal to the fawning parents” style except this one is on a grander scale than most. The AA had a particularly irritating one with the baby singing Rolling on River recently. If you want to appeal to the whole family you use a talking Dog instead . It’s all so predictable. To get back to this one not having seen it on air I found it on You tube. The comments don’t seem to have come naturally and look as they have been seeded and encouraged by JL. It’s very self congratulating to the extent it is vomit inducing but as the setting is a school play that is probably quite accurate. A perfect representation of the Mumsnet Generation of parents and children. Give me the down to earthness of Grange Hill style kids anyday The country needs builders and engineers etc with a bit of toughness and determination , not a load of violin players .
GH
GH
On 09/09/18 09:55, Marland wrote:

Yebbut what do you do with all the kids that arent clever enough to be bricklayers or mechanics or heaven forfend, engineers?
They can't ALL go into the public sector...oh hang on. Of course that's exactly what they do.
Can you imagine Jeremy Corbyn actually *working*?

Good grief. For all his faults he works harder at his job of an MP than your idol Farage did. By many many times.
Is there any limit to you shooting yourself in the foot?
--
*Sleep with a photographer and watch things develop

and he keeps an allotment.
On Sun, 09 Sep 2018 13:47:40 +0100, critcher wrote:

But he *hates* Jews!
On 09/09/2018 15:27, Al wrote:

...but he is not a racist. Dianne Abbott actually believe it... Where is the shadow home secretary BTW?

MP in Europe, pet. Thought even you might understand that.

And that reflects on how hard he works just how?
Of course being an arse licking Tory I'm sure you judge every MP by how high they climb the ladder. Not by how they serve their constituents.
--
*Ham and Eggs: Just a day's work for a chicken, but a lifetime commitment

Did you notice that the music from the group of children playing Violins (?)at the very beginning appears to be the last few notes of Ode to Joy from Beethoven’s 9th symphony now adopted as the European Anthem. I think J Lewis may be issuing a subtle message on their opinion about Brexit, when some of the 51.9% who voted leave twig they may not fawn so much how nice it is.
GH

Yup. I'd suggest all Brexiteers boycott old Queen songs. As 'We are the champions' is going be far from the truth.
Let's hope 'We want to break free' is ditched too.
--
*The fact that no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist

On 09/09/2018 12:02, Marland wrote:

It shows how discordant the EU is.
--
Max Demian

Last time I checked he was actually working: for Iranian and Russian state-sponsored TV channels.
On 09/09/18 20:03, JoeJoe wrote:

I meant manual labour.
--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that
On 09/09/2018 09:55, Marland wrote:

Haha!
Bob Eager wrote:

+
I thought it was for the "and partners" branding
On Sat, 08 Sep 2018 21:06:09 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Exactly. The rebranding of Waitrose as 'Waitrose and partners', and of JL as 'John Lewis and partners'.
Howdy Partners,. I thought they were both and partners and many years ago they invented Waitrose and cut the partners to make the jl more customer friendly sounding.
I really do not understand rebranding. There seems to be no point at all to most of it RNIB are currently rebranding themselves with new slogans etc and a new logo even though they are still over 6 mil in debt. Brian
--
----- --

It was a large and well known group but not as big as say International stores,Sainsbury etc were becoming. After various mergers and corporate twists it ended up with others as part of the UK Safeway. Using the memories of when I was around 5 the interiors were not dissimilar from David Greigs another chain of Grocers , dark places with lots of wood furnishing and biscuits on view in containers served much like Woolworths later did for sweets and calling it Pick and Mix. And there was always an advert for Camp Coffee.
The arrival of the self service supermarket killed most of them off those old style shops off though some of businesses like Tesco and Sainsbury had started with chains of similar shops but moved in time to lead the changes and survive.
GH