OT: John Lewis ad.

If you've not seen it (sorry Brian) look out for it. Bohemian Rhapsody.

Quite the best ad I've seen in years - and not even Xmas.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It is excellent. Saw it a few days ago - presumably this extra one is because of the Waitrose/JL rebranding.

Reply to
Bob Eager

If its the version with kids singing it then it's total s**te!

Reply to
alan_m

+

I thought it was for the "and partners" branding

Reply to
Andy Burns

The version they emailed out in the week was longer than the version that's on TV

Reply to
Andy Burns

Certainly an unusual and eye catching ad, but what the f*ck has it to do with John Lewis and Waitrose ?

Reply to
Josh Nack

Exactly. The rebranding of Waitrose as 'Waitrose and partners', and of JL as 'John Lewis and partners'.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I have been hearing about it. Some adverts are now carrying Ad, but sadly, as far as I'm aware,not that one. Its mainly the big makers of washing products, say no more. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Rebranding who would be fool enough to change well known names? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Howdy Partners,. I thought they were both and partners and many years ago they invented Waitrose and cut the partners to make the jl more customer friendly sounding.

I really do not understand rebranding. There seems to be no point at all to most of it RNIB are currently rebranding themselves with new slogans etc and a new logo even though they are still over 6 mil in debt. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I don?t think it is s**te, technically it is quite a well made production and I?m sure the youngsters had a good time being involved. However after all that it just enough another commercial that has resorted to the unimaginative ?let?s put Kids in and appeal to the fawning parents? style except this one is on a grander scale than most. The AA had a particularly irritating one with the baby singing Rolling on River recently. If you want to appeal to the whole family you use a talking Dog instead . It?s all so predictable. To get back to this one not having seen it on air I found it on You tube. The comments don?t seem to have come naturally and look as they have been seeded and encouraged by JL. It?s very self congratulating to the extent it is vomit inducing but as the setting is a school play that is probably quite accurate. A perfect representation of the Mumsnet Generation of parents and children. Give me the down to earthness of Grange Hill style kids anyday The country needs builders and engineers etc with a bit of toughness and determination , not a load of violin players .

GH

GH

Reply to
Marland

Yebbut what do you do with all the kids that arent clever enough to be bricklayers or mechanics or heaven forfend, engineers?

They can't ALL go into the public sector...oh hang on. Of course that's exactly what they do.

Can you imagine Jeremy Corbyn actually *working*?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It was a large and well known group but not as big as say International stores,Sainsbury etc were becoming. After various mergers and corporate twists it ended up with others as part of the UK Safeway. Using the memories of when I was around 5 the interiors were not dissimilar from David Greigs another chain of Grocers , dark places with lots of wood furnishing and biscuits on view in containers served much like Woolworths later did for sweets and calling it Pick and Mix. And there was always an advert for Camp Coffee.

The arrival of the self service supermarket killed most of them off those old style shops off though some of businesses like Tesco and Sainsbury had started with chains of similar shops but moved in time to lead the changes and survive.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Good grief. For all his faults he works harder at his job of an MP than your idol Farage did. By many many times.

Is there any limit to you shooting yourself in the foot?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Well I am still wearing a T shirt.

The first frost is still about 5 weeks away.

Reply to
ARW

Did you notice that the music from the group of children playing Violins (?)at the very beginning appears to be the last few notes of Ode to Joy from Beethoven?s 9th symphony now adopted as the European Anthem. I think J Lewis may be issuing a subtle message on their opinion about Brexit, when some of the 51.9% who voted leave twig they may not fawn so much how nice it is.

GH

Reply to
Marland

and he keeps an allotment.

Reply to
critcher

Haha!

Reply to
newshound

Yup. I'd suggest all Brexiteers boycott old Queen songs. As 'We are the champions' is going be far from the truth.

Let's hope 'We want to break free' is ditched too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)