OT ish Slow Windows

in fact two resposne have been givcen neither of which are of that flavour.

32 bit means you need a 32 bit release, and that leaves just the choice of desktop manager. I recommend MATE as being a reasonably good approximation to XP .

Ergo the 32 bit MATE version is the one to go for.

How many versions of Windows are there now?

Vista/7/8/9/10 serve home home pro?

32 and 64 bit..
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

all over the interweb you dick. Flippin eck the help forums come as the default browser home page...

I domt. just know its a darned sight easier than getting windows or OS/X help

Total myth.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

network address translation Ethernet over ATM, ATM over ADSL, routing of thee RIP OSPF or BGP flavours, hardware firewall..need I go on?

But even if that weren't true, since when is the fact that a horse and cart will get you to London a reason not to drive a car or take the train or a coach?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Does windows actually produce anything as helpful as this? Free?

The Natural Philosopher

I haven't used Virtual Basic, but a quick Search finds this:

Any help?

Reply to
Davey

Well, will LibreOffice handle Excel VBA files and run the code? Second thoughts, I need a sensible answer... OK. I've downloaded windows version... installing... will try to use my Excel files when install finished...

Oh well, couldn't run my VBA enabled files using LibreOffice... Uninstalling.

Reply to
Richard

Thanks for that. LibreOffice can't handle my Excel files code. No doubt I could rewrite the stuff to suit the package, but that is not what I call an improvement over Windows software.

Reply to
Richard

*AFTER* my post.

FFS, get a grip. The poster wants to know about Linux, not hear you whine on about Windows.

Reply to
Richard

Dunno. Never needed anything like that, bearing in mind that I haven't bothered to read the entire thing.

Reply to
Richard

How long did you have to search to find the one command that wasn't exactly duplicated

I am not even sure you did install libre office.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

well there's nowt so deaf as those that stick their fingers in their ears and yell 'windows is great, windows is good'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Which while not necessarily true, would be equally dumb advice.

Reply to
John Rumm

It was suggested that "insert DVD, follow instructions" would solve the problem (i.e. a slow Win 8 PC) at a stroke.

It neglected to mention the vital useful background explaining what doing as described would actually do (i.e. the equal of changing an air filter by ripping and replacing the entire engine with a different make and model).

It also neglected to mention what precautions one would need to take to preserve their data first should thy consider doing as suggested.

And the other 97% of the population who would be looking for a reverse switch if you suggested backup?

That it would manage...

What about remembering to preserve all those email account settings that you setup months ago and have now forgotten about?

What about the paid for license for MS Office you find you now can't use?

They are similar on both platforms - although not the same.

Also how would a windows user go about installing them?

Will they need to select the right install package to download?

Will it come as a compressed tar file? Will they know how to extract that? (assuming they find their downloads folder)

Will it all install from a double click of the icon, or are you perhaps assuming that someone new to the platform will understand how to use a command line and sudo etc, or will suddenly be well versed in the variety of linux package managers and how to use them?

If you can work out where the profiles are and how to move them between the OSes. Most windows users would be challenged to find their windows thunderbird profile folder[1], let alone the equivalent place in whatever distro of linux they have.

[1] %appdata%\thunderbird in case you were wondering. That will expand to a ^hidden^ folder tucked way down in the "roaming" part of the users home folder.

Precisely... you see no problem.

Now go try getting someone to round trip a few more complicated office docs back and fourth with co-workers a few times. Sometimes 90% compatibility 90% of the time is no use.

(Kingsoft office is a more "Office like" recommendation than Libre these days FWIW)

Reply to
John Rumm

Yawn. Yet another prat calling me a liar. I did install LibreOffice_4.4.5_Win_x86.msi I opened one of my Excel workbooks which contained VBA. Tried to run the VBA and was informed that there was not the particular JRE version required to complete the task. I therefore decided that the software was not worth the bother as I have better things to do than fart around trying to get stuff that just works, to work in an environment that needs farting around to get things to work. Call me a liar if you like.

Reply to
Richard

Provide a quote from me where I say that.

Reply to
Richard

+1 for Kingsoft - on my Android phone.
Reply to
Richard

well many people use webmail: you would of course have those in your browser in that case, and you should extract thiose first.

If you are alrdeay using thunderbird or firefox you could export all that stuff to a usb stick or similar..

Write it off.

in Linux?

Nope. Its all simple : go to software manager, select firefox, click. Anyway its the default browser for Mint

well that is already better than interversion compatibility of MSoffice itself.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just about every post you have made has been essentially that.

Noth8ng is easier than finding something that one system does OK, and another doesn't do.

Liker the MAC man who came and saiod ' pity linux cant read Canon raw format files off my camera' Of course installing a plugin that did read them was the work of 5 minutes...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

having just come back from an eye test, there seemed to be a Windows machine on the desk plus an ipad tethered down at each "work station".

Reply to
charles

So I use a Mac and use Office for the Mac. So your point was *what*, precisely?

Reply to
Tim Streater