OT(ish) - propane gas torch - cheapest?

Derived from the mains AFAIK.

I'm (just) too young to remember it (we got rid of the coal fire when I was 5). My parents told me about it.

Reply to
Steve Walker

I'm amused by pictures of a gas fitting for connecting the poker right next to the fireplace

- when you could have just had a gas fire (and presumably some later installs used that as a supply).

Which leads me to wonder... why didn't people have gas fires and skip laying the fire altogether? Was coal cheaper, was it something about town gas that made it less good for heating (compared with cooking and lighting), or general inertia?

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Well if you were a miner the coal was free (or at least was in my neck of the woods).

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Gas was made from coal so coal itself was cheaper.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

gas was more expensive than coal in terms of cost per unit energy through the 50s and 60s.

Reply to
Robin

Coal fires had a life of their own. gas fires were very boring. Firms even made mock coal fires run off gas to look better.

Reply to
charles