OT ish - but does relate to screwfix.

I have been having difficulties connecting to screfix.com with my android (Samsung) mobile phone and my wifi

When connecting via mobile data there are no problems

When connecting via Wi-Fi I get these errors when attempting to contact screwfix.com but all other websites and apps work fine.

Firefox - Address not found. The browser could not find the host server for the provided address - Check Address for typing errors such as ww. instead of www. If you are unable to load any pages check devices data or wifi connection.

Chrome This site cant be reached. Check if there is a typo in

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

Opera This site cant be reached The webpage at

might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new address.

Fault finding I have done. Connect with a Win10 Desktop connected to the router by either net. - No problems. Connect with a Win11 Laptop to the same Wi-Fi as used with the mobile phone - No Issues.

Connect with an Andriod (Samsung) Tablet to the same Wi-Fi - exactly the same error messages as obtained on the mobile phone.

Tried the phone on a friends Wi-Fi - no problems

Does anybody have any clue what might be going on - my router has not been (deliberately) changed or powered off for months, but as a friends wifi works fine I suspect it must be something to do with my router/wifi settings.

Thanks for any suggestions

Reply to
Chris B

Presumably you're on plusnet?

There's an issue where the supplied router doesn't like the "large" DNS records that screfix use (multiple CDN servers with unwieldy names)

If you can change your devices to not use the router as DNS resolver, should work, e.g.

go direct to plusnet servers

212.159.13.49 212.159.13.50

or google

8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

or cloudflare

1.1.1.1

or quad9

9.9.9.9 149.112.112.112
Reply to
Andy Burns

Note that you can set these up ON THE ROUTER as part of its DHCP config..

You don't need to do it on all your devices. They will pick it up via DHCP from the router

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Correct.

Have done that on the phone settings and it works fine confirming the diagnosis.

Unfortunately I don't seen to be able to make changes at the router level as I have a plusnet Hub 1 router.

Chris B

Not with a plusnet Hub 1 router it seems :-(

Chris B

Buy a decent router. Something like a Draytek will work with any ISP.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What if you have an ONT?

How does one get the ONT and your new router talkiing to each other?

S.

Reply to
SH

My Draytek (2866) has a WAN Ethernet port. Short cable from there to the ONT. Job done.

(I can see ir from here)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Isn't that just the fibre equivalent of a cable modem?

I am on Virgin and it took just one setting change to switch their router/modem into modem mode - so my Draytek router just uses an ethernet input for its WAN connection and the Virgin modem just passes whatever it's given, in either direction.

It also has the advantage that if I change ISPs, I'll just have to change the modem unit or switch the router to use its VDSL port and all the internal network settings, firewall, etc. will stay the same.

Reply to
SteveW

plug ethernet between ONT and WAN port of router, configure PPPoE on router ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

which requires you to know the credentials of the PPPoE on which is something teh ISP is not going to give you easily.....

Reply to
SH

They'll certainly give you your username/pass for PPPoE, the rest should be autodiscovery all the way.

maybe you're confusing the ease of PPPoE with the difficulty of getting SIP/RTP credentials for VoIP out of most ISPs?

Reply to
Andy Burns

and that too as my landline comes out of the current Vodafone router..... so How do I "port" the currentl landline port on the vodafone router to the 3rd party router (assume it has a landline POTS port on it.

S.

Reply to
SH

But this discussion wasn't really about VoIP, it was about replacing a dodgy plusnet xDSL router with your own, to get working DNS

For voda, ask voda ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ditto here. FTTP and a Draytek (turns round to look) Vigor 2762

Best domestic router Ive possessed. As good as my Cisco SOHO router but doesnt get red hot in use

Not cheap, but worth every penny

Amy router that says its suitable for 'cable' will have an ethernet port that can be configured to be on the far side of the NAT and firewall and capable of running PPOE

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Seems to me this kind of issue is Screwfixs to fix, as it will be they who will lose business by the problem. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff