OT-ish B&Q automated checkout

If I didn't do it no one would.

But do you really weigh cauliflower cabbage or broccoli before buying?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes I do! And kale. I don't want to grab a handful, or whatever form it comes in, and have move than we need.

Reply to
polygonum

But by weight? I'd have no idea what enough broccoli for four would weigh. Or kale, come to that. I buy the quantity I want just by looking at it - so more by volume than weight.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Even if that were the case, I'd like to check that I haven't grossly wrongly estimated. Maybe grab some kale by eye/feel, weigh it, check the amount isn't crazy and the price isn't more than I am willing to pay. Then put in trolley/basket.

Reply to
polygonum

It matters when you are selecting stuff of which you need a particular quantity, and too much would be wasted, too little unsatisfactory. Which butternut squash is right, how big a sweet potato? I wouldn't use them every week, unlike, say, potato or onions, so it matters.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

But aren't such things sold by wieght rather than volume.

all sold by wieght.

Cabbages, lettaces are all sold in price per kg rather than prive per litre. Bannanas are sold either in set bags or by wieght not number or lenght or volume.

Beer and wine is sold by volume.

But I buy the above by wieght as I know I can only carry a certain amount home on the bus, so say I buy 3 500ml bottles of beer, 1 litre of milk, & 1kg of sugar is about the limit if I'm buying other stuff.

But it's sold by wieght too, you just find vison easier to judge.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Which will ensure that they will rot very quickly when kept in the plastic bag you put them in when purchasing.

Reply to
alan

Maybe.

Picture here:

polygonum

As I said before if I've been asked to get X grams of something I make damn sure I get at least X grams. Life would not be worth living if I didn't...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

SWMBO instructs you get so many grams of cauliflower? Cabbage? She's got your measure. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I try to eschew buying things in "grammes", but it's fairly unavoidable for things like medicines, sadly.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Glad you had a "fairly" in there.

One medicine taken in this house is produced and sold in grains and fractions thereof.

Reply to
polygonum

Our one closed, and as I used them quite a bit, I asked them. They were only closing out stores at end of lease, and that depended on the amount of business and rent/rates for the store in question. It was empty for a while and has now turned into a nail bar (which is always empty, so I don't imagine that will last).

There's still a Julian Graves in the next town, but as they charge for car parking, I only use it very occasionally when I feel like cycling over there.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel