OT-ish B&Q automated checkout

On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 17:40:47 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

Washing up liquid I only buy when the Co-op has it on offer. I'll then buy one everytime I go in for the duration of the offer, so that's about 3/week. We then have enough stock to last until the next offer. B-) IIRC the normal price is £1.80 the offer is normally £1.
Same with the cat food buy only on offer or I'll buy two instead of one
jar of coffee when it's on offer etc.
Some stuff is bought from Costco at silly prices:
Geetas Premium Mango Chutney £3.99 for 1.5 kg. Sunmaid Raisens £6.29 for 2 kg. Basmati Rice £17.99 for 20 kg. Decent quality dried pasta various £4.69 for 3 kg. Decent quality dried spaghetti 4.99 for 3 kg. Kikoman Soy Sauce £5.59 for 1.9 l.

True enough, perishables are bought as required in quantities that will
be consumed before they have gone too far.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 13/04/2013 17:40, Tim Watts wrote:

I have often pondered whether some of the offers are what they seem. A classic is something like washing-up liquid with 750 ml for the price of 500 ml. But is it really the same? Or is it watered down 500 ml WUL in a larger bottle?
I have no idea about industry standards, etc., but I somehow doubt anyone would be sure.
(And the way shops mix up price per 100 ml, per litre, per 500 g, etc. Comparisons may be possible, but why keep changing the units? Definitely not to our benefit.)
--
Rod

On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 19:14:08 +0100, polygonum wrote:

At least those are normally 1l/100ml, 1kg/100g, it's easy to shift the decimal place in your head, unlike working out the 2fer example I posted earlier.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 13/04/2013 19:54, Dave Liquorice wrote:

It is not when the units are differently dimensioned unless you are in a position to estimate that, say, washing-up liquid is probably mostly water so is likely to have a density very close to 1 ml = 1 g. Not true for everything.
Though I do accept your confusing offers issues.
--
Rod

On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 15:40:22 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

£2

The supermarkets must love her. I do all the shopping you really do have to watch the "offers" and compare the value of £1.70 for 120g or 2 for £3.00, against £3.50 for 300g. I'm sure they pick the numbers to mak e the maths hard to do in your head...
And it's not unknown for the same product to be in the chilled section and the froozen section at considerably different prices, which the offers can swing one way or the other...

I can't say I've noticed a any great difference in price between the Ald i and Tesco in Hexham. They are bang slap next to each other so you'd expect the pricing to be competative in the Aldi.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 17:58:49 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Also, you have (what I call) "the Kwik Fit factor". This is the holy grail for any retailer, as it means you have implanted the *impression* in the public psyche, that you are the cheapest. At which point, they stop looking at your prices.
I first heard of this 20 years ago. A tyre fitter near us would charge 20% less than Kwik Fit. But locals first port of call was Kwik Fit "because they're cheapest".
We bought a 3lb joint of meat from a local butchers Saturday, then had to go to Sainsburys. Mrs made a point of looking for a similar cut in the meat aisle, and it was about 15% dearer ....
On 15/04/2013 14:12, Jethro_uk wrote: <>

Ah Venison. Mmmm.
--
Rod

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 14:38:12 +0100, polygonum wrote:

No, it was top rump beef (I'm sure I am ignoring some sarcasm somewhere ;) ).
On 15/04/2013 14:54, Jethro_uk wrote:

No sarcasm at all. Just the (very?) obvious pun of it being deerer.... :-(
Apologies.
--
Rod

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 15:09:12 +0100, polygonum wrote:

OUT ! NOW !

is not.

I know for a fact that you are wrong on quite a number of lines, having been in both quite recently.
MBQ
On Saturday 13 April 2013 15:34 stuart noble wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I can categorically say that quality is *not* the same.
Sainsburies online shopping used to leave us with a lot of fresh produce that had 1-3 days of firdge life left. Some of those fruit and veg could barely last that long before going weird.
Similar with Tescos, from my them local store (where I get to pick the longest dates).
Waitrose (via Ocado) give me 2-7 days of fridge life and *most*[1] of the products are fresh and nice within that life and often for a few days more.
[1] Watermelons and strawberries are still rather variable.
I quite like Morrisons but they don't AFAICS do home delivery, and I lost interest in trudging round supermarkets years ago.

All that says is you never do the shopping. Or stick to Harrods.
--
*No husband has ever been shot while doing the dishes *

Well actually no. I hsavbe visited both once. Checing the prices I knew I could get elsewhere. They had rubbish products that were not cheap.
Perhaps they are cheaper than Tescos, but I don't shop there either.
I do the shopping regularly - at least 50% of it.,
--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) – a system of government where the least capable to lead

You must have a very different Lidl to the one I use. And if you've only visited them once, how can you possibly know all their products were rubbish? And it would have taken ages to compare value for all of them.
--
*I wish the buck stopped here. I could use a few.

On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 14:51:04 +0100, The Natural Philosopher

Once again, you prove yourself to be full of shit.
On 13/04/13 22:05, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

I rather think you have just done that to yourself actually.
Or perhaps to you 'better than Tesco' is 'quality'
--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) – a system of government where the least capable to lead

Rubbish.
MBQ
On 13/04/2013 12:46, alan wrote:

+! I can see it saving me money

.

Try B+M, but watch the sell by dates and buy branded goods only.
E.g. (Almost) Identical (the weight is the same) bag of Haribo sweets, £1.39 in Tesco (and I think even that was an "offer". In B+M they have a "99p" flash in the corner of the bag but are sold for 89p. Go figure...
MBQ