OT: Is BBC Iplayer any use?

No, there is a third way which is a half-way house:

3) I don't agree with the TV licence (*) as a principle, but I agree that if it is the current system, then for reasons of fairness everyone must pay it if they want to watch.

(*) Note: "licence" with a C because it's a noun not a verb, and we're British so we make this distinction which Americans don't. Likewise for "practice/practise", though I can't help thinking that the same spelling, for both "practise makes perfect" (I've not perfected the technique yet) and "practise" as in the skilled, perfected work that doctors and lawyers perform, is open to confusion. Maybe, nouns and verbs notwithstanding, it would be better if we used the -ce and -se spellings to distinguish between the meanings of "I'm not yet proficient" and "I've passed all my exams and I'm licensed (**) to perform my skills".

(**) "Licensed": I debated about this one. Is it "licensed" as the past participle of the verb to license, or "licenced" as an adjective derived from the noun? I (correctly) opted for the first.

Reply to
NY

ROFLMAO

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

4/ Pay for channels rather than programs that's how virgin and sky work.
  1. doesn't cover all TV programs just those the BBC transmits.

I'd agree but here you also have to define commercials. The BBC do advertse constantly but not for products for purchasing just for their programs. Also I pay for virgin media who pay for things like comedy central and they carry adverts so I am paying twice over as do most people.

In the future I suspect something likke yuotube channels and passwords or s ome form of ID will be used simialr to the way netfix is run.

Why not have the fee per unit time, watch for an hour you pay for an hour, a bit like electric and gas.

Paswords, PIN numbers etc...

It does seem to be but with peole being able to watch such things for free if they know how it will only become a matter of time before the majority a rent; paying. We already have this with newspapers.

The big players now a HBO and how would we watch game of throngs ... via bo x sets that model seems to work.

Reply to
whisky-dave

And I'll change it again if you keep replying to me. Fix your killfile = or I'll have to break it completely.

-- =

Waiter, waiter, what's wrong with these eggs? I don't know Sir, I only laid the table.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Apparently if you invert (mirror language) the video, their system can't detect it.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You could upload it to a site other than Youtube.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Completely illogical point of view. So you think it's wrong, but you wa= nt everyone to pay something which is wrong.

Let's try an analogy. A new law comes in tomorrow whereby every person = in the UK has to pay =A310 a week to fund Muslim terrorists, so they can= afford bombs. You obviously disagree wth it, but you'd want everyone t= o abide by the law?!?

The BBC are THIEVING money from people, that's indisputable. Mr Smith w= atches nothing but Sky One and Sky Sports. Yet he has to pay a license = to the BBC. Sky get no part of this money, yet they're making the progr= ams he's watching. The BBC get money for nothing, and Sky have to make = their own way. The BBC is STEALING from Sky, ITV, Ch4, etc.

Only if you're a really boring sad individual.

Just not required at all.

-- =

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of peopl= e very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

+17.
Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

rote:

re available in the USA, but not in the UK!

om the BBC showing a video of icebergs melting as part of global warming pr ogram, and put it to a friends music. When uploading it to youtube, youtub e detected this and said this is owe dby the BBC and yuo're video can't be moniterized (that's fair) and will only be availbe for viewing in the USA.

nfringment of another band, I emailed a defense claim or whatever they call ed it and I won.

But why would I, they were wrong I was right.

Reply to
whisky-dave

So you get the video working as you require. If they don't like your custom, f*ck them, go elsewhere.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I used to subscribe to Sky via satellite complete with all of the commercials. I have now however ditched Sky in favour of NowTV. I was pleased to discover that channels which carried adverts on Sky (such as Comedy Central) are shown without ads on NowTV

I don't know why this is but can only guess that distribution by internet is much cheaper than by satellite.

Reply to
Chris B

Doesn't that mean you have blank spaces? It can't be a continuous channel without ads, as there won't be enough programs.

All programs should be by internet, on demand, when we want them. I don't wish to look through today's schedule of 50 billion films to find the 2 I want to watch.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

En el artículo , Huge escribió:

+1
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

rote:

s are available in the USA, but not in the UK!

from the BBC showing a video of icebergs melting as part of global warming program, and put it to a friends music. When uploading it to youtube, you tube detected this and said this is owe dby the BBC and yuo're video can't be moniterized (that's fair) and will only be availbe for viewing in the US A.

t infringment of another band, I emailed a defense claim or whatever they c alled it and I won.

tom, f*ck them, go elsewhere.

I was right they were wrong why should I back down, it had happened to a lo t of people about that time they had f***ed up with whatever the use to rec ognised content. I was NOT guilty of copyright infringment why should I allow them to say I was.

Reply to
whisky-dave

James, have a look in the chemists :-)

Reply to
RayL12

Very true. If you support free viewing, which I too support, then support the pioneers freedom to do so. Youtube has way more educational and alternative viewing. Those who attract an audience make some good money. By supporting the BBC, I get to support the trash I'm not interested in. There is very little on TV.

Reply to
RayL12

That's not how to change things. Why should there be a price when all channels use adverts for support? Not to mention Pay-per-view and now Pay-per-View AND pay per event. And, with the onset of smart TV, It's a no show if you have too many viewers in the room.

Reply to
RayL12

and a lot of crap that pretends to be educational.

I think there are some good programs on TV, there's quite a few docunmentary type programs as well as soaps. Quite a bit of the stuff on youtube comes from the BBC.

Reply to
whisky-dave

They must be watching TV all the time. Why it takes them 5 minutes to hand me a bag of pills I don't know. Find shelf, pick up box, put in paper bag, hand to customer. Simple.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Exactly. Almost all channels have ads or their own subscriptions to pay for them. Yet the BBC want us to pay for their stuff even though we might only watch different channels.

What are you on about "too many viewers"?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword