[OT] iPhone or Android...

Rather more faff than unlocking an Orange San Francisco, but apparently you can do it yourself for free these days: http://android.modaco.com/topic/348403-want-to-unlock-your-omc-skate-tutorial-here /
(Compare http://sanfranciscoandroid.co.uk/android/how-to-unlock-the-orange-san-francisco-zte-blade-for-free / But then the Monte Carlo is newer, bigger, faster. My SF was effectively only £60 because I bought it with Tesco vouchers while they had a 2-for-1 offer on. The iPhone is a much nicer phone of course, but so it should be at that price.
GiffGaff is £10 a month for "unlimited" net. (Where "unlimited" means "fairly unlimited so long as you don't take the piss": http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/01/11/giffgaff_unlimited /)
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 19 Jan 2012 00:21:48 +0000 (GMT), snipped-for-privacy@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Alan Braggins) wrote:

Giffgaff support/help is pretty much non-existent. Their web site is often broken which means that you sometimes can't buy their special deals (Goodybags). They also have a long-term problem accepting payment from some credit & debit cards. Apart from that they are good value ;-)
--
(\__/) M.
βœ–

If you're prepared to "unlock it, repartition and install CyanogenMod 7" as John suggested then you can probably cope with that.

I've only come across the short-term site brokenness, which is annoying, but you can buy a goodybag in advance to take effect when the current one runs out. (On the other hand you can't buy, for example, a goodybag with unlimited texts to take effect immediately if you have a goodybag that hasn't run out of time but doesn't have any texts left.)
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 19 Jan 2012 17:55:09 +0000 (GMT), snipped-for-privacy@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Alan Braggins) wrote:

I wasn't meaning handset support. Installing new firmware isn't going to help with GG website/network/billing problems.
--
(\__/) M.
βœ–

Don't talk to yourself Denise it will make people think you're a fucknut. Oh, too late.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Tim Watts wrote:

Well...
Done the deed. Decided I wanted a decent solid phone, so was getting close to going for the iPhone 4S on Three's One plan (all you can eat data).
Then I did a bit more reading around, and noticed the Samsung Galaxy S2 has similar hardware specs to the iPhone (plus more RAM plus being able to replace the battery and add an SD card).
Noticing that that device had no upfront cost on the One plan, but the iPhone 4S was Β£189, I went in and tried one and got one on the spot.
I must say, I am deeply impressed. Light, bloody fast, "just works" with linux (including USB tethering, so saving laptop and mobile battery on train). In fact the tether mode seems to work more reliably than teh Three MIFI.
All in all, it's now clear that Android was thr right choice for me. Little things like installing a WIFI signal scanner that the Ghost of Steve says is forbidden.
--
Tim Watts

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 16:44:57 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

I've had mine for a few months. Quite apart from all the nice things you mention, silly things such as running VAX/VMS on it, on SIMH...!
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

You will like it more when android 4 is released in a month or two.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 19:51:41 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

I've been told it is on its way. The S2 is one of the Samsung phones that will get it - not true for all.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
βœ–

CyanogenMod 9! I've already tried it on my OMC/Skate - it's very nice but a couple of things not working yet.
http://android.modaco.com/topic/348745-ics-rom-cyanogenmod-9-nightlies-for-zte-skate-multiple-fixes-updated-0601 /
Add pictures here
βœ–
Bob Martin wrote:

http://android.modaco.com/topic/348745-ics-rom-cyanogenmod-9-nightlies-for-zte-skate-multiple-fixes-updated-0601 /
I've tried MeDroid which is reasonable usable (a few glitches in camera, gallery very flaky, and the odd FC in maps) amost usable on a day to day basis ...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t 11429
Add pictures here
βœ–

Tim,
can you let me know which 3 plan this was?
Looking at taking out 12 month SIM only Mobile Broadband deal and wondering if tethering a 3G mobile would work as well.
Cheers
Dave R
[Not even bunny]
βœ–
On 27/01/2012 14:29, David WE Roberts wrote:

I have the 300 minutes plan @ 10 pounds a month on a 12-mont contract. SIM only. Gives 1Gb data but no tethering. Add a 5 pound a month Internet max bundle and that gives another 2Gb of data and allows tethering.
Buy through Quidco and get 50 something pounds cash back so works out at a little over ten pounds a month for the first year.
Andrew
Add pictures here
βœ–
David WE Roberts wrote:

This one:
http://www.three.co.uk/_standalone/PricePlan_Details?content_aid 20465768094

--
Toum Watts

Add pictures here
βœ–

If that is the total cost - Β£600 for the phone and 24 months all you can eat Broadband - that looks pretty good as the SIM only deal is Β£300 over 12 months. Knock of Β£140 for two lots of Β£79 SIM only 1Gb month and it looks even better.
[Not even bunny]
βœ–

Get an Β£89 phone from Argos and it looks even better :-)
Add pictures here
βœ–

<snip>
Errr...... Which phone did you have in mind? Given that we are discussing the Samsung Galaxy S2 can you suggest an equivalent for £89 from Argos?
[Not even bunny]
βœ–

Depends how you define equivalent, but an Orange Monte Carlo from Argos at Β£89 will do everything that an SGS2 will do. It's a bit slower (most OMCs will o/c to 960 MHz) and has less memory but it meets the Android spec. I got the impression the OP was primarily interested in tethering - I tether my IBM Thinkpad through the OMC all the time. It is great value for money.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I think the OP was primarily looking for a leading edge smart phone and trying to decide if there was an Android phone which offered better price performance than an iPhone (see title of thread).
In my case I am trying to cost justify buying a sexy new spanky phone, and the ability to tether on an 'all you can eat' tarrif is a positive inducement.
If I just wanted Mobile Broadband I would use my existing dongle with a SIM with a 12Gb/12month deal.
However I can save that money if I can get Mobile Broadband effectively 'thrown in for free' with a new phone.
Also, I note that it is an Orange phone. So we have another issue apart from the lower performance (haven't checked screen, ports etc.) - Orange isn't my 3G network of choice, having gone down hill a lot in the last 10 - 15 years from when it offered the best deals and customer service. You are also unlikely to experience the joys(?) of Ice Cream Sandwich on the OMC.
So IMHO if you are looking for a 5 Series BMW you can say that a Ford Focus does much the same job for a lot less money, albeit more slowly and with a much more limited capacity. It can even be 'overclocked' a bit :-) However it doesn't really meet the original requirement.
Cheers
Dave R
[Not even bunny]
βœ–

Yes, it's an Orange phone, as the name implies ;-) However, as a long-time VirginMobile user the first thing I did was unlock the OMC and install ClockworkMod 7. That was my intention when I bought it.
I've already run ICS on it (ClockworkMod 9) but have reverted to 7 until 9 is more stable. I'm sure when it is stable that CWM9 will be better than most stock ROMs (as 7 is now). The beauty of paying under Β£100 for a phone is that I don't mind playing with it and trying all the custom ROMs. I wouldn't do that with a Β£500 phone.
So yes, there is "an Android phone which offers better price performance than an iPhone (see title of thread)." - in fact there are many. IMHO of course!
Add pictures here
βœ–