[OT] iPhone or Android...

Mark wrote:

In desperation, they have recently signed a sharing deal with T-Mobile to use each others' base station networks. It hasn't helped much.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

not so much "signed a sharing deal" but are now owned by the same company
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16
charles wrote:

You're thinking of Everything Everywhere which is the merged T-Mobile+Orange, I'm not sure where that merger has left the T-Mobile+Three combined base-station agreement ... anyone know?
Andy Burns wrote:

Answering my own question ...
Mobile Broadband Network Ltd is a joint venture between Everything Everywhere and Three, so that network effectively consists of 12,000 3G masts formerly belonging to Orange, Three & T-Mobile, with a further 5,000 redundant masts having been decommissioned.
http://www.mbnl.co.uk /
Mark wrote:

Three's phone support is shit. I did call it once - took 1/2 hour talking to a stroppy indian lady who knew fuck all about anything.
I was at least making the phone call from the Three shop so at least it was free...
However, their data packages are good and in some parts of East Sussex, they are the only operator with decent coverage. O2 is utter shite and even Vodaphone are a bit dodgey south of T Wells.
--
Tim Watts

Sounds like Orange. I once spent nearly 3 hours on the phone to them talking to various foreigners who knew fuck all.

I was paying for the call too since calling from the handset free always results in me being cut off mid-call.

Coverage is poor here as with all the operators.
--
(\__/) M.

Well, it starts by providing an on-line payment system that is designed for top-ups to ones account if one gets near the credit limit. Rafter getting through to the final page, it won't accept debit card details. If you ring support you then enter a labyrinth of decision trees which lead to the inevitable call centre. That is actually the worst call centre in existence, believe me it's much worse than the Orange call centre. Trained monkeys could do better.
They don't actually know what the web is or how their own payment system works.
On 18/01/2012 07:33, Tim Watts wrote:

Indeed...
I expect your usage pattern is very different to mine, since I am a fairly light user, I receive more calls than I make, and don't need to spend significant time using the phone for data. So the occasional bit of web access, email etc is enough. Much of the time I am in wifi range anyway.
IIRC I paid just under £200 for the phone (SE xperia mini pro), and have no ongoing contract. The SIM deal I went with (Ikea family mobile) would be pricey for significant data use - however it very cost effective for my particular pattern. I have my phone SWMBOs and daughters on the same account, can manage everything from their web portal, and don't expect to pay more than a tenner every couple of months for the lot of them!
--
Cheers,

John.

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 21:57:21 +0000, John Rumm

I have the Arc S - nice bit of kit. Only drawback was the usual bloatware and rubbish the network operator put on it.

Get an Orange Monte Carlo from Argos (change from £100) http://tinyurl.com/7y5qwol then unlock it, repartition and install CyanogenMod 7. I must admit that for me it's as much a toy as a phone but CM7 is as solid as a rock and you have a full Linux system which you can program in Python, Ruby, Rexx etc etc
On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 08:24:03 +0000, Bob Martin wrote:

Ooh, REXX on my phone! Mind, I can already run 'classic UNIX' and VAX/ VMS...
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
Bob Eager wrote:

You know there has to be bloatware somewhere when you can ren on a mobile phone, apps, better than you could on a DEC minicomputer....of the 1990s
On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 09:36:07 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Well, classic UNIX was even earlier - I started using it in mid-1975! And VMS was around the same time...originally.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
Bob Martin wrote:

Looks very interesting...
What's unlocking like - is it a ring Orange or use a dodgey stall affair these days (spot who never unlocks mobiles!)?
--
Tim Watts

On 18/01/2012 18:33, Tim Watts wrote:

Most of the network operators will unlock for a fee - once the handset is out of contract. Also some handsets are easy to unlock with freely available software.
Cost me £15 to extract my previous SE W595 from virgin's clutches. After that I reflashed it with the generic firmware to debrand it.
--
Cheers,

John.

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 21:55:42 +0000, John Rumm

Tesco will unlock for free if you've had the deal for a year. All the others charge IIRC. I have found none of my phones were easy to unlock with freely available software. YMMV.
--
(\__/) M.

You can unlock Orange San Franciso and Orange Monte Carlo phones for free using software procedures from the appropriate forums.
My son unlocked his Samsung Galaxy S the same way.

I have an OSF and an OMC, both bought from Argos and unlocked, and now running CM7. The Skate (OMC) is a far superior phone and actually runs CM7 better than the Blade. Both are rock-solid in that they will run for weeks without problems, but battery life seems a lot better on the Skate, and of course it's faster and has a lovely big screen.
Blade is running Xmas day KANG, o/c to 729MHz Skate is running CyanogenMod-7-11132011-NIGHTLY-Skate, o/c to 960MHz
Bob Martin wrote:

That's interesting

Does everything work - like personal hotspot tethering, bluetooth, 3G, market? That's my main fear - that something important (to me) will turn out dodgey.

That is a useful reference point - thanks. And with overclocking :)
How's the battery, in that state?
--
Tim Watts

I've lost my Virgin broadband twice in the last few weeks and each time I started tethering on the Blade as a wifi hotspot and connected my laptop to it to get to the internet. An hour's surfing used less than 6MB of my monthly allowance of 1GB.
3G and Market work fine but I don't use bluetooth so can't personally say, but I haven't read anything in the forums to say that it doesn't work. Battery on both is fine - about 48 hours between charges (tethering is expensive though!). I use the kindle app a lot on the skate.
There are several other very good ROMs for the Skate : I tried and liked Atomic. http://android.modaco.com/forum/542-zte-skate-skatemodacocom /
I doubt you will get a skate at Argos now - someone posted this just this morning: "Using http://icheckstock.co.uk /, there's 2 left in Harwich (CO12 4EN), 1 left in Ramsgate (CT11 9AG) and 1 left in Kings Lynn (PE30 1DL). If you type in your postcode and what you're looking for on the website it can check up to 100 stores nearest to you, so hope that helps."
Orange shops should be able to help though.
BTW my son has a Samsung Galaxy S running the stock ROM (he's afraid to put CM7 on it, though it is rooted) and his GPS doesn't work!