OT: iPad 2 problem

This is probably not the best forum for posting this but I am always amazed at the scope of knowledge exhibited here, so here goes.

My iPad suddenly stopped accessing t'internet and kept reporting no server connection no WiFi despite every other device in the house having no problem. I tried to reset the connection got it to access a few web pages before it fell over again. Tried a few more times and it worked for a few webpages before requiring a reset. Eventually it would not reset saying the password was incorrect. I tried a few network resets and after a limited success it to kept saying the password was incorrect. I did a system rest again with some limited success before it simply would not link up to the WiFi.

Is there anything that can be done or has it simply become a door wedge? Even if anything can be done bearing in mind it's age is it worth spending money on it if it needs a repair.

In the meantime I am trying to get to grips with SWAMBO,s Android tablet.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

I imagine its got a hardware problem. I do notice that today there has been a software update to ios 12 so it might be worth asking Apple if it is running ios12 if the update might have broken something on older Ipads. Might be just a coincidence though.I have a laptop that occasionally loses wifi, it needs a sharp tap on one side of its hinge and it works again. Suspect a dodgy connection as the aerial is often in the screen!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Try running an app that monitors wifi channels to see if it is the case that the hardware is working but cannot decode data or the antenna is coming loose in which case you won't see SSIDs except intermittently.

Its probably cheaper to buy a replacement second hand from CIX of a slightly more recent vintage. The batteries fail on them after a certain period of time and then they are somewhat less portable.

Reply to
Martin Brown

OOI, have you been resetting the ipad or the router?

If the former, have you tried resetting the router rather than the tablet?

Reply to
John Rumm

Senior Management's Ipad 2 does this from time to time, it is invariably when she has a lot of apps open in the background. Needless to say, to fix the problem, I just close the apps, and all is well until next time.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Brian my iPad is running iOS 9.3.5 which is the last available for the iPad 2 it being a 32 bit device and subsequent iPads being 64 bit devices. Now having said that and called it a door wedge guess what it has accepted the password and I can load webpages, will see if it continues or if it starts to play up again?

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

There was a problem with 12.1.4 or some version like that, you needed an update to fix it. This loss of internet was ISP specific virginmedia when using the superhub2, superhub3 was OK. I think this was over a year ago.

perhaps using the ipad with ahotspot might let you download the updates if that's what it is, but for me this was sorted ages ago, so maybe a differnt problem.

Reply to
whisky-dave

So far so good I am typing this reply on it at the moment.

John, I did not reset the modem as all other devices were working on wifi OK. I did go into the modem software to see if any problems were reported and all seemed OK.

I will see if it behaves badly after a bit of use.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Never does any harm to do a router reboot if you?re having odd connection problems.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

It's gone again everything else is still working. I will give the router a reboot but I am not confident that is the problem.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Nah! Rebooted the router everything else is working, iPad is still pear-shaped looks like I got myself another door wedge.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Not possible with an ipad.

But possible to pay for a battery replacement.

Reply to
Jac Brown

Well if you?ve nothing to lose why not try replacing the aerial? Only £2.99 on a popular auction site. ;-) Might not fix it but might be fun to try.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

0/10.

Apple has a free app from the appstore, "AirPort Utility" that has a built in Wi-Fi scanner. Activate it from settings.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

We'll see...

That only shows you what it decides is a good enough signal to give you a reliable connection, it doesn?t do anything about showing you what is happening signal strength and SSID wise like the best of the androids do.

Reply to
Jac Brown

Apple has a free app from the appstore, "AirPort Utility" that has a built in Wi-Fi scanner. Activate it from settings

Only problem I cannot download anything

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky snipped-for-privacy@sky.com wrote

You can use itunes to load it from a desktop/laptop. But it doesn?t do what you need.

Reply to
Jac Brown

One thing is of course that the age of the device may well mean its single band wifi, which is choc full of things from your neighbours channels, So other newer devices may well be using the higher frequency wifi band and this may be clearer. Might thus be worth turning all the other devices off and then trying the Ipad, If it works reliably you might then need to find out if you can fix its channel isn some way. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Rod, you are at your usual level of "correctness". I'll let others decide.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Moving it close to the wifi should be enough to overcome neighbouring interference even on the same channel. Shortage of space on the device itself might be another possible cause of stalling on downloads.

An Apple wizard might have some suggestions for tricks and tips to get one going if you ask in the right place (where that is I don't know)

Reply to
Martin Brown