wifi strangeness

Tested by Tim, wifi signal adequate throughout kitchen/dining area.

Internet radio works OK although there have been a few outages which seemed to coincide with Openreach installing some additional cabling nearby.

Ancient i phone will not connect saying the Wi-Fi password key is incorrect. Router 12 months or so from installation, not running hot or any other symptoms. Hardwired connection to desktop OK.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Tell iPhone to forget the relevant network. Let it find the network again and try connecting again entering password etc.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Are you _absolutely certain_ you've type the key in correctly? Any funny characters like £#$ in it that the iPhone might be getting wrong? Mixed up O0?

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Which frequency are you testing? Which is the iphone using?

On some routers, you can split them, with different passwords etc.

Reply to
GB

Has it ever connected in the past.

iThingys can be very fussy about what Wifi shipsets they will talk to.

Once every six months my network decides it won't talk to iPhones etc.

Power cycling everything fixes it.

Reply to
Martin Brown

OK. Not my phone and the owner knows less than I:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Certain:-) No Ohs or zeroes.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Beyond my understanding I'm afraid.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Hmm. That sounds possible. I'm sure it has connected in the past.

I'll get her to try a fresh switch on within range. If that fails try a power cycle.

It is loaded up with photos/videos etc. Surprising it can work at all!

Tomorrow!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

A while ago I was looking into the security of Wifi networks and methods to obtain the password.

There are a number of techniques that take over the SSID and trick the user into entering the network Wifi Password. It's one reason why many corporate Wifi networks use a bespoke interface where the user has no access to this password.

This type of attack comes under "social engineering".

The idea of entering a password known to be correct a number of times should ring alarm bells.

Most likely it's a iPhone feature!

Reply to
Fredxx

You're working hard for this shag. Or will it just be chocolate cake and a sherry?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

IME older iStuff was more fussy than newer... however usually can connect, but i have had cases of a user with one particular iPhone unable to connect to one particular network. Even had one case where the phone could not cope with the EAP authentication in use, and I had to create a whole new wifi network with WPA2 just for one user!

Getting the iPhone to forget the existing connection and then reconnecting and entering the details from scratch can help.

You can run into problems with UK wifi equipment that uses channels 12 and 13 since these are not available in many countries. So some devices have trouble connecting.

(the phone may be just sniffing for the first wifi network it sees, and working out from that what country specs to use. Since many folks don't setup the region correctly on their wifi router they often default to US, ans so the phone ends up assuming that channels 12 and 13 are off limits)

You can use an app like Wifi analyser to report the channel of your wifi, or you can log into the management page of the router (details on the sticker on the router usually).

Reply to
John Rumm

I don't really do iThings, but have had a friend recently say his phone has started complaining about connecting to his home router (as supplied/configured by gigaclear) which is still using TKIP rather than WPA2/AES.

Reply to
Andy Burns

There are a number of things you can do to help mitigate against this:

If your Wifi gear supports it, you can hide the SSID to make it harder for others to recreate an evil twin Acces point.

You can build yourself a openVPN server on a raspberry pi and install on on your home network, Then install openVPN on all mobile devices and set it to always only connect over VPN to wifi. Use a different password for the VPN to the WiFi password.

(This is also doable out on the 4g network if you port forward port 1194 in the router to your VPN server so you can also deal with dodgy public wifi access points)

Create a Captive Portal on your home network for user authentication.

Some WifI AP's support Rogue AP detection, mine does and I get emails if it detects a rogue AP popping up.

On my Wifi I have a MAC address white list so only the MAC addresses that are in the White list are allowed to connect, every othetr MACX address is rejected.

Reply to
No Name

52 years and still counting. She is a good cook:-)
Reply to
Tim Lamb

Power cycling seems to have it fixed. But why. Does this mean I have to crawl into the loft every time the phone is carried beyond wifi range?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I am relieved to say power cycling has fixed the problem. Your kind suggestions are mostly way beyond my comprehension:-(

This is a fairly isolated location and no other domestic wifi within

20m.
Reply to
Tim Lamb

No. It is the sort of thing that happens once very six months or so - maybe even less. One of my repeaters decided not to play with my wife's iPhone last week. She was amazed when I fixed it using a poker!

The mains switch is inconveniently right behind the TV but with a poker I can just about reach it to switch off and on...

Reply to
Martin Brown

Fit a remote power switch now while you can still crawl :-)

You /could/ fit a smart wifi socket, but ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

On 08/12/2020 09:17, Tim Lamb wrote: <snip>

Not necessarily.

It may mean that you will face the question "how much do I care if other stuff on the same circuit as the router loses power briefly?" :)

But, before that, try rebooting the router from the management page from your laptop/PC. (I know that's often more bother than power cycling but when the alternative is crawling into the loft....)

Reply to
Robin