wifi strangeness

Er.. right:-) This is W7.

My choices.. Set up a new connection or network.

Connect to a network.

Reply to
Tim Lamb
<snip>

You need to find out the ip address of your router and then type that into your browser and connect to it (like any other web site).

The security info you need (and often it's i/p address) is normally written on the router somewhere (back / underneath).

You are looking for something like 192.168.x.25X or .1.

Or you could download, install and run Advanced IP Scanner (also handy for other things and see all the devices on your network, inc the router).

*Very* easy to use (yes, even for you). Once it's found the router you can generally click on it from there and get connected (it displays the IP addresses and other info).

Then, once you have logged in with a username and password (that it might get you to change on first visit), you should see under one of the menus the option to 'Reboot'.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Nothing to do with Windows 10 vs 7. You do it in your browser. Just open Firefox or Edge or whatever you use, then type in to the bar at the top the address of the router. That's something like 192.168.0.1 or

192.168.1.254. If your router came from your ISP they'll have a guide on their site. Or of course ask here (where there's those far more expert than me).
Reply to
Robin

In message snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, T i m snipped-for-privacy@spaced.me.uk> writes

OK. I was actually supplied with a reference card which includes the address and the current password.

What do we hope rebooting will do?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

OK. See Tim's message.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 14:28:24 +0000, Tim Lamb snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote: <snip>

What it has already done but easier than gaining access to the router potentially (if you actually meant what you typed)?

"Does this mean I have to crawl into the loft every time the phone is carried beyond wifi range?"

No (if you initiate a soft reboot) and no, most decent kit (phones, tablets, laptops) should simply reconnect to any network they see, if not already connected to one.

However, some routers can / do do funny things (have RAM leaks or limits to some tables) and so can need a reboot now and again to clear the decks etc.[1]

My router is typically at arms length but I still typically reboot it the way suggested by some here.

Cheers, T i m

[1] My router for example should allow unused auto-administered (DHCP) IP addresses to expire if unused for a specific period but doesn't. So, once it's run out of such ip addresses (DHPC scope) it won't dish any more out and so you don't fully connect (until it's rebooted).
Reply to
T i m

Its trivial enough to find hidden SSIDs, that this is not worth doing IMHO. Anyone capable of sticking up a fake wifi to masquerade as an existing network, will also be able to see SSIDs hidden or not.

Using properly signed security certificates and EAP authentication is the way to go if you want to prevent this.

(and having a RADIUS database of users, means you add or revoke individual users, rather than sharing one wifi password with everyone)

More security theatre really. MAC addresses are "soft" and can be reprogrammed on modern network cards. So other than making you own life more difficult there is not usually any real benefit to MAC address filtering.

Reply to
John Rumm

You can probably do a reset from the management page of the router, rather than needing to physically power cycle it.

Reply to
John Rumm

Much the same as power cycling...

Reply to
John Rumm

Things seem OK at the moment so I'll hang fire on that.

Current issue is learning how to transfer endless grand child photos from the i phone 5 to free up some memory.

Hopefully to a W7 laptop. (doesn't seem to have autoplay installed)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes

Oops! Yes it does:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 19:48:51 +0000, Tim Lamb snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote: <snip>

Well quite because you have just done it and if you don't mind crawling into yer comms cupboard that's what you can do next time as well, and probably will if you don't work out what you will need to do now, become it becomes 'urgent'. ;-)

iTunes I think.

it's an iPhone, they are weird ...

In case you haven't already, Apples iCloud backup / storage is free for quite a bit of space and not a lot more (like 79p/month) for a lot more.

Mum (92) has that for bother her iPads and her iPhone and it automatically syncs all the pictures (mainly) from all devices to the other devices and the cloud, in case of loss or failure of the device or picture. Also means to can get to them from your W7 PC (Or XP PC here) etc.

You can also 'locate' the devices ... from your PC ... handy if they get lost ... ?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 20:41:13 +0000, Tim Lamb snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote: <snip>

It might have needed to download and install the drivers first, if it hasn't seen an iPhone before?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yup.

If ya configure a laptop/mobile phone to connect to a hidden SSID, part of the initial conversation from the device is "hello, SSID are you there?". There isn't much encryption at this step, and if ye take ya device walkabout with the WiFi switched on - it's gonna be having this conversation with absolutely everything.

One day, something nefarious will answer - "yes, I'm SSID - I'm here, give me any password. We can connect."

:-(

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

They say there are two sites of the male that are routes to his heart. I guess the mouth is closer!

Reply to
Fredxx

Return signal from phone has too low a level. Does it work reliably near the router? If yes, then almost certainly time to get a new phone, if not then check it is seeing the correct form of protection. In the main if its running at least ios 11 then it should be ok. Anything else and who knows. Most of the Iphones since about the 8 have dual band wifi, and my 10r always uses the 5 gig band not the rather interference prone 2.5 gig one. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

In message <rqpvg6$bei$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, "Brian Gaff (Sofa)" snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> writes

The last router power down seems to have cured the problem. Open Reach have been re-cabling here so the remote connection may have been intermittent.

The phone has accompanied the owner for a pre-op covid test and may not be back for some time.

John has me worrying that having bullied her into switching on the wifi, she is now carting it around a hospital!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

No. However I have seen oddities like this on failing netgear routers

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
<snip>

Is there not a more remote means of power cycling, perhaps via an MCB, or is your consumer unit in the loft too?

I have mine next to a NAS drive both through a UPS so I have less choice.

Reply to
Fredxx
<snip>

Along with all the other patients, doctors and hospital staff you mean? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m