OT: Internet Hosting recommendations.

One of the ways round that is to create selective filters on the receiving mailbox to forward messages to a different one that the phone reads - that way you can reduce the volume of mail sent to the phone by dropping stuff you don't need there, and can also delete stuff on the phone without killing your "main" copy of it.

(many modern email systems allow you to create email filters in their "webmail" facility - this means they then run on the server and don't require the client to be running on the desktop for the filtering to happen).

Reply to
John Rumm

I want to see all new mail on my mobile devices and it can all be in a single inbox rather than filtered to folders. Generally I don't want to keep mail on the mobile devices but how long I want to keep it is variable, from seen (not even read...) it/delete it to read it/keep for 6 months.

The POP3 client set to "delete on server" buggers up the IMAP clients that expect to be able to find items on the server. I shall have to have a play with the various delete settings and target IMAP folders for deleted items.

That POP3 client is a little old as in probably predating IMAP and only understands plain text, so no stupid colours, fonts, images, backgrounds, etc but it does everything I want it to do and has for decades. But if some one knows of an OS/2 email client that supports IMAP and is equal to PMMail/2 v2.20.2380 (copyright

1994-2001) I might be tempted to move client.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I think that was the bit that was throwing me ... forgetting as well (/of course) that the old imap server would be 'imap.123-reg.co.uk' and the new one would be something different. I think I was merging the domain move with the email 'address' etc.

Now it makes more sense. ;-)

Yup (smacks forehead).

And of course that (assuming we still have access to the old mailserver), makes perfect sense.

Understood.

Understood.

And for the last 5 years I thought they were (via WHS). ;-(

The thing is, I'm still not convinces I understand the whole IMAP and how Outlook 2013/6 uses it.

eg. Looking at a PC running Outlook 2013 holding several IMAP accounts, if you see a new email (header?), then disconnect the PC from the network (potentially cutting off access to the 'live' / server view), you can still open the email fine? So, they are either stored (or cached) in a file somewhere () or in RAM? The issue there is what / however they are stored and in spite of the who PC being backed up to the point where you could do a bare iron restore from (just) the last backup, it doesn't seem to backup these .ost's. Even if it did, most of the stuff you read on the net seems to think it would be pointless as you can't so much with them. That said, there are .ost > .pst converters and the one I tried seem to work. ???

So, about the only solution I have come up with so far (with the above ghost files in mind) is along the line of:

1) To prevent IMAP, bugs or the users (meaningfully or otherwise) deleting messages and having that deletion reflected across all other devices holding that (IMAP) account ... is to set up some (two) rules (/account they access) that take a copy of anything that arrives in the Inbox or Sent (or whatever the sent folder is called) to a local (and importantly) 'offline' folder. This would still be a .ost file by the looks of it and so still nor backed up by WHS. 2) To fix the backup issue, you could setup an Autoarchive on those new local folders and this creates .pst files, and these 'are' backed up by WHS.

The hope is that those two steps would ensure no emails are ever lost and 2 they are backed up (as well).

Now, the next problem is I'm not sure how useable the Autoarchived data will be (is it easy to include in Outlook as just part of the std view) and / or might it still be better to go for something like MailStore to make the data easier to search / retrieve across all the mailboxes? This (as far as I understand it) might require the MailStore being able to access the Outlook Local or Autoarchive folders to ensure all emails are captured (I think it has the ability to recognise if the exact same email isn't stored duplicated).

I might also check to see if this process might be made easier (or be equally easy) by running Thunderbird but I still need to check that WHS can backup .msf and other mailbox files.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Most of the email clients cache the IMAP content - speeds it up on subsequent accesses.

A file I would expect... probably in the Local section of the users AppData folder.

The account information used by outlook is held in the registry - so the data files alone are not enough to get back to a fully working setup.

Another option to consider is to see if the email box provider has an archive option - they may be able to do it at the server level before the user is set lose on it.

Various desktop options exist for archiving email as well. AVG Cloudcare for example has a (paid for) add on for archiving email.

You may find creating separate archive email boxes works better - they having rules forward relevant messages to them. That way they can be accessed independently of the users machine(s).

Reply to
John Rumm