OT:House for sale - not on internet ...

Idly noticed the house across the road has a "For Sale" sign up. Like all good women, Mrs Jethro got nosey and wondered about the asking price. After half an hour on Rightmove et al, she totally failed so called me. Same result. Eventually we had to call the estate agents. I mentioned the lack of listing, and they said that the vendor had requested no internet listings.

The thing is, we live in a cul-de-sac, so this is surely practically guaranteeing little or no interest ? Piqued my curiosity, I wondered what reasons there might be for such behaviour. Especially when the opposite trend seems popular - advertise on the internet with *no* For Sale sign.

My theory is based on the fact the house is uninhabited (hence asking the neighbour isn't possible), and has been since we moved in 10 years ago. The lawns get cut by a gardening service, and very occasionally there's a car parked in the drive. I have images of some Dickensian court battle being fought between surviving offspring ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

More likely they don't want squatters moving in.

As a general point, it can take some days/weeks between putting the sale board up and getting particulars approved by the vendor and then listing on Rightmove, etc.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Elderly owner been in long term care and recently popped their clogs? Maybe no internet was advised to avoid squatters, vandals or pikeys. Or mis-advised for some reason so that the agents can make a cheap sale to a "friend".

Reply to
Onetap

Never thought about the squatters angle - thanks.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I've just me a local estate agent who was on his way to tell a squatter to get out of the house he is selling.

Reply to
charles

Are you sure it is not a stolen sign? Once on the way home from the pub my brother and I stole a For Sale sign from a garden and we planted it in the field next to our parents house (we both still lived there at the time).

The next evening when we went to he pub rumours had started about a new housing estate that was going to be built on the field. And boy, were these good rumours. One bloke even claimed to have spoken to the estate agent that fitted the sign!

Reply to
ARWadsworth

lived and completely refurbished it.

there one Saturday night. The speakers were,

Surround sound gets a bit expensive.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet