Sale on Forstners

Hi all,

Does anyone know anything about the Forstners that Canadian Tire sells? They have them on sale this week for less than half price, and less than half of what LV would sell their HSS bits for. I don't mind saving a few bucks, but don't want to buy crap either.

They're here:

Tanus

Jimmy

True, they're different sized sets, but I'm mostly looking to find if anyone has ever used the CTC Forstners, and what they think of them.

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus

ever use a few sizes to any extent. When they wear out, replace them with high quality bits and you still have the others for the occasional hole of that size you may need. My Forstner use is about 40% 3/4", 55% 3/8", and the rest combined the other 5%.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

LOOKS LIKE STANDARD CHEAP GARBAGE TO ME.

CRAP IS WHAT YOU WILL GET.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

General consensus seems to be that these things won't last that long. I don't have a pressing need for Forstner bits, as I don't have a drill press, but thought I'd take advantage of a sale. Maybe, on second thought, I'll just pick up onsies and twosies at LV as the need arises.

Thanks.

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus

Go carbide when you do.

I have a Freud set that was about $90 USD when I bought it.

They work for me.

Add some brad point drills to cover the 1/4-1/2 range and you are good to go.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

After reading your post I went and bought a set yesterday, got home, took a look at them and returned them today, very poor quality.

Home Depot has pretty good ones, paid about $10.00 for a 7/8" a while ago, probably better to just buy them as needed.

FrankC

Reply to
Frank Campbell

Hi Frank,

I think that's likely what I'll do. I didn't bother getting them because of what some folks had said just looking at the CTC site. But as someone mentioned, earlier and as you've said, getting one or two when you need them is likely the best way to build up a stock.

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus