OT Has anyone had to turn their CH on yet?

Just curious as it is dropping cool overnight in Yorkshire at the moment.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Mine lives on the 'stat all year round, it came on briefly last weekend, and quite a bit last night/this morning. (S. Leics)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Same with us. Ours has come on very occasionally Both coming down with colds so keeping warm.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Yes - it was getting a bit parky today so the heaters were deployed for a bit...

Bloody stupid - it's only September!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yesterday we had to, here in NW London. I'm now waiting for my twin set of 2-port valves to either show dead motors or microswitches. Failure of these is a yearly occurance, so I've now wired neons to show some useful diagnostics.

Regarding diagnostics and me, my own nose and throat is starting the tickly sniffles - I'm probably due for my world famous winter cold event. Very dangerous if contracted or bought to a workplace, I can cause panic to health organisations that dread the call 'Adrian has flu'.

I need shooting ...

Reply to
Adrian C

Yep, I had to. The incessant nagging from 'er indoors finally proved too much.

David (sitting here in shorts and t-shirt)

Reply to
Lobster

Yes, not just because we're wimpy (even though we are) but more because the system needs a shakedown before Global Warming sets in for the winter...

Reply to
JonH

Yep, here in Lancashire too. Fire on at night for a little while to take the chill out of the room, heating on for the last two or three mornings when we get up. All down to SWMBO though as I'm still OK with the temps yet - wouldn't like to be much cooler though :o)

Reply to
Pete Zahut

I let the thermostat switch it on when the room temp gets below 21. It has been coming on most mornings and evenings for several weeks.

Reply to
John

Not on yet, but thinking about it this evening. Shut all the windows though, and put a bit of wood on the fire to warm up downstairs. I'm in Blaby, where are you then? Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Had it on in the evenings for the last three weeks (Devon).

Last night's low was 3.8 degC, so put it on for half an hour before getting up this morning.

TF

Reply to
Terry Fields

Heh, next door ... Countesthorpe

Reply to
Andy Burns

Nah. Aga is on, and thats enough for another few weeks

WE have lit the bedroom stove though with all the sticks the dog brings into the house over the summer.

Toasty 20 degrees in there now..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes despite the heat island of London 'cos SWMBO suffers if it less than

22 degrees. (I know, I know but the trade in value/options for replacement at our ages are so low. And to be fair there's no underfloor insulation pending the subsidence claim :(( )

During the day it's the outset radiant gas fire though.

Reply to
Robin

In message , ARWadsworth writes

Yes, here in NE Scotland. Did I blink, and miss summer? Coldest morning noted so far was 5 degrees during the last week of August. 6 degrees this morning.

Reply to
Graeme

Closest I've ever been to another usenet weirdo!

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

You're obviously in a colder bit of Devon than me! (Buckfastleigh)

(Then again, I am a displaced Scot! [1])

We have had the odd fire lit recently though - spent today wielding a new log splitter on our woodpile, so got plenty ready!

Gordon

[1] Yea, sure, cue jokes about a scot being next to the place where they make bucky... ;-)
Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Yes, the in-laws are here so it has to be on, along with an open fire.

Our new control unit (Honeywell ST9400C) went titsup about 10 days ago, after 3 months use, showing only the message INTERNAL on the display - which apparently means it's FUBAR.

We'd got it from Heating Controls Online so I went back to their website with the details and bless me, within about an hour they'd promised to send another out. It arrived Wednesday and I fitted it, so we're back on-line again, with the faulty one in the post back to them. Good service I thought.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Never switch it off. Learnt the hard way that you don't let this place, with thick solid stone walls, cool down or it takes days to get comfortable again.

Programmable stat turns it on to 18.5C by 0700 for the day and up to

20C for a few hours in the evening. It's being coming on most mornings for the last couple of weeks and boosting for the evenings as well. The barn has also demanded heat a few times, its stat is set at 10C.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

We've had our living room fire on a couple of nights in the past week ... not quite cold enough to need the CH yet. But in one way, isn't it nice to have some "normal" weather ... I can recall there being frosts in September, when I were a lad - not seen that for 20+ years, now.

Reply to
Jethro