Proper surface mount mains sockets - are they no longer available?

One used to be able to buy 'proper' surface mount mains sockets (I have a couple in my scrap box still), we used to use them at our cottage screwed onto the beams and such.

I'm after similar to use in our boat but they seem to be unobtainable now, all you can get is a standard single or double (or triple) socket and a surface mounting patress. These are far bigger than necessary and really too big for most places on the boat. I can't 'sink' them because there are no spaces in the boat to sink them into.

Does anyone make proper, compact, surface mount mains sockets still? If so can someone point me at a supplier.

I have found some reasonably sensible looking 'trailing' sockets in four and six gang (e.g. CPC PL0917807 and PL0919007) but the two and three gang ones are not as neat and I would really prefer them without neon indicators.

Reply to
tinnews

The closest thing that I can think of are the MK Mini Logic Plus. Part nos

2959 WHI (1Gang) and 2949 WHI in my paper MK catalogue.

Cheers

Reply to
ARWadsworth

They're hardly smaller than a normal surface mount petress though. After spending *ages* serching for the dimensions I finally found them on the MK web site - 2 gang: 133 x 64 x 46mm. My 'cheap as chips' surface mount sockets around here are 144 x 84 x 45 so the logic plus ones only win significantly on height.

Maybe I'll cannibalise some trailing sockets, the MasterPlug ones are at least held together with screws so one can take them apart and use just the sockets. E.g.:-

tinnews

I remember them :-)

If you are using trunking then you can get reduced faceplate sockets eg MK 2532WHI that fit into cutouts in the lid.

I think you can get electrak sockets that fit into round conduit boxes, also 5A round-pin, but I'm not sure about 13A.

A quick look at the fancy sockets for kitchens or office desking doesn't suggest any that are smaller than standard once the case mouldings are taken into account.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

They look interesting, there are also unswitched ones such as 734WHI. The trouble now is that I can't find the trunking they fit into, the MK web site isn't all that helpful!

There's 735WHI, is that what you mean? What does it fit into?

Reply to
tinnews

On looking further I *think* 2532WHI and 734WHI are simply meant to fit into holes you make yourself. Or is there MK trunking available with suitable knockouts?

As above, but in this case it fits in a round hole, might be quite useful because making round holes is easier than other shapes.

Reply to
tinnews

5A conduit box socket - MK 315 WHI
conduit box socket - MK 312 WHI (unshuttered, not recommended for domestic)

clock connector MK 993 WHI

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Maybe if you talked to a sparky they'd save you some they rip out.

NT

Reply to
Tabby