OT Has anyone had to turn their CH on yet?

Getting close - but incandescent lighting, fridge freezer, and AV/PC in use/ on standby all help to take the edge off.

Djornsk

Yup, it got down to 4° on friday night/saturday morning and the house was down to 16° Since it was the first time this "winter" I gave it some attention. Normally it only comes on about the first or second week of October, though last year I seem to recall it was early, too.

Reply to
pete

Our heating is on most days of the year at sometime.Had to scrape the van windscreen at 6.30am Saturday and Sunday.That`s in Fife.

Reply to
mark

Not quite that here but it would be if we wanted the temps others have quoted in this thread. 22C, I melt...

I was half expecting to do that about 0700 on Saturday, the air temp had got down to 2C but it was dry so no visible frost.

1400' on the North Pennines.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Ours is on auto all year, 20C between 07:15 and midnight, just 2 rads, lounge and 'dogs room'. We also use a gas fire for a bit of radiant comfiness. Weird how 17C feels fine in summer but 22C feels cold in winter (to me).

Reply to
brass monkey

I've not run the furnace yet over here in the wilds of Minnesota :-) (well, other than to test that it still works). I did have one of the 'leccy heaters on in the office the other day. I don't think temps have dropped below 40F (4.5C-ish) here yet, although it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't snow before the end of October.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

You're safe ... I don't have a beard or an axe!

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message , mark writes

Currently 3 degrees here on Deeside, Aberdeenshire.

Reply to
Graeme

I am quite glad I am not paying for some of the posters heating bills! 22C would melt me.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Had the u f h on low for a few days and it's just starting to warm up.

John

Reply to
JTM

I've known a few of those! I get a heavy cold nearly every winter but I haven't had flu' for 30+ years. There are people who describe every sniffle as "a touch of flu" but I remember flu as something very nasty.

Reply to
Bob Martin

Yes - I had it last winter.

1 week of a bad achy "cold" - functional with large amounts of paracetamol.

1 week virtually dead - onto stronger drugs (solpadeine), stayed in bed nearly 24 hours/day. Moving from the bed to the loo/drugs took about 10 minutes of mental preparation - especially the drugs as the last lot had of course worn off. Loo not so bad as I timed that when the drugs were at peak operation. Ate little, mostly drank milk.

1 week feeling very crap but can drive to the shop, cook and do unstrenuous stuff slowly in the warm (very warm).

then a good couple of weeks of feeling OK until I did anything vaguely physical which would result in much sweating and immediate exhaustion.

My track is about once every 10 years and I blame the train as I was commuting both times.

OTOH my immune system was upgraded a notch...

Reply to
Tim Watts

You probably don't want our oil bill either! Even with the place at

18.5C during the day we still get through about 4,000l/year at at least 40p/l =3D =A31600.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

AIUI about the worst thing to consume with any 'chesty' (or 'tummy) condition is milk (and related dairy products). Apparently the bugs feed on this, and it prolongs the problems.

I usually drink diluted orange juice or weak black tea, and brave the odd banana.

But I agree with you about flu being a three-week condition with about a week of it in bed.

Afterwards you feel somewhat better but simply run out of energy five minutes after starting something.

Interesting you seem to get it about every ten years - it's the same with me. I put it down to having blood group B; apparently bugs only thrive in blood that they are adapted to. So with a common group like O, it seems like everyone comes down with it, but with the rarer types it's much more isolated. I never catch my family's cough or colds, as I'm the only one with this blood group.

TF

Reply to
Terry Fields

LOL

Try living on a low-fat diet...and the CH will get cranked up.

With the lounge below 20C I need to put on an extra layer, and 23C seems just about right.

I've noted over the years that people who have a fair proportion of red meat in their diet have lounge thermostats set much lower than those on a lighter diet! A typical difference might be 16C and 22-23C.

TF

Reply to
Terry Fields

Thanks for that. Interestingly SWMBO did become a vegetarian ~15 years ago. She wanted the heating high before that but I may try feeding her lots of bacon butties[1] this winter to see if I then don't need to keep going out of the room to cool down.

[1] she like many other non-doctrinal veggies cannot resist crispy bacon
Reply to
Robin

I'm in the SE, and yes I turned it on yesterday. Without it daytime temp in the house didn't rise above 16C

tim

Reply to
tim....

Strangely enough, I have a beard and have just been given an axe for my birthday. Oh, and a Canadian hunting knife as well. But of course, I'm no danger to anyone......

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Been on for the last few days in coastal Suffolk. When the wind went round to the north and the daytime temperatures dropped so the house was below 17C we decided it was time. Boiler has been in for a few weeks to make sure it worked before we needed it.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

yes. I agree. real flu is a deep bone ache, relatively high fever, and feels like you died and didn't get resurrected properly.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher