OT Has anyone had to turn their CH on yet?

Whether C or F, I'd find that intolerable. _Way_ too warm.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Eaten and made into a jumper

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I don't understand french inches and it has dropped to 72.1. I have been away from this room for nearly 2 hours now, with no boiler running.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Depends on if your body fat has dropped as low as mine has over the last

2 years.

Dave (improving)

Reply to
Dave

Although it seemed very cold all day, this evening (night?) it's very mild and I'm strutting around the house almost naked, near the frozen norf east coast.

The outside sensor's out of action at the mo, but the temperature in the kitchen is ca. 69·6 degrees F.

Several people around here have mentioned flu-like symptoms, probably linked to these weird temperature levels/variations.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I wish they had shut up, because I've developed a hacking cough and a sore throat from listening to you guys.

Bloody cold, innit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Link?

Reply to
brass monkey

No chance !

Reply to
Frank Erskine

As is mine, I guess it is the penalty for going with a cheap Maplin unit - no spares. I was tempted, when I popped into the store they have just opened near me, to pick up a complete weather station for about £40 as a replacement, but I don't have a good location for the wind or rain sensors, so it would be a bit of a waste.

However, the WeatherBug gadget sitting at the edge of my screen seems to be accurate enough, at no cost.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

+1. Our's was down to 15C over the weekend so I had to swap the T shirt and shorts for a shirt and jeans.

Tested the CH just to make sure it would work when it gets cold. Called in W-B to fix boiler ;-)

Reply to
Mark

Bit longer fo us. The weekly consumption is just starting to ramp up from the normal summer rate of about 25l/week. Last week was around

75l. We will be up to 100 - 125/l week by end of October where it will stay, with peaks to 200l/week, until the end of March.

The "Grand Plan" involves getting at least 50mm of celotex on the inside of all external walls, replacing the drafty windows, fitting a wood burner with boiler, a heat store/bank, solar panels and just possibly a 2.5kW wind turbine. The FITs and RHI (if it happens) help with costs. The control system would only actually export electricity once the heat bank was fully hot.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Forget the windmill and solar panels.

another mm of solartex will make more difference.At a lot less cost.

Bear in mind the ventilation requirements for combustion heating will destroy a lot of the insulation advantages. Its a pity you cant get heat recovery wood stove flues..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher saying something like:

Not with any properly designed stove with an external inlet.

There's always the masonary stove design, if space allows (a vertical one can do the job).

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Just bought a Maplin unit with wireless external sensor. End of range, remaindered, 10 squid. The inside and outside units agree within half a degree, and seem to match my old (wired) one, so it's probably about right.

SWMBO told me to get it. She hates the wire up the north side of the house. Which happens to be the front...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

My central heating turns itself on. What's this obsession with "it's getting cold, better turn the heating on"?

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Depends on the type of system, I suppose. Our archaic forced-air setup would fill up with dust during long summer idle periods, so I don't like the idea of it suddenly firing up in the middle of the night when the temperature first gets low enough - I'd rather give it a thorough check at the start of the colder season first.

I did leave the furnace pilot burning all summer, but having looked at how much propane it's eaten, I don't think I'll do so next year.

Reply to
Jules Richardson