OT: Halogen linear

Are they really that inefficient? SWIMBO wants lampstand with one of these linear halogen as an uplight and a little reading light attached. 300w - I'm putting my foot down on that. Nothing more than 10w LED in this house!
--
AnthonyL

snipped-for-privacy@please.invalid (AnthonyL) wrote in

I have one - but hardly use it. Wait for an LED version once the stocks have sold. The uplighting is a nice feature - with dimmer for certain mood lighting.
Mood lighting? I wonder what lighting you need for bad tempered people?
Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Lighting that can survive being attacked with a cricket bat, silly.

On Saturday, 14 November 2015 15:00:10 UTC, AnthonyL wrote:

I suppose you could get a gas light! :-) I only buy LEDs myself. The price is right down now.
On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 15:00:04 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@please.invalid (AnthonyL) wrote:

Look on the bright side - you'll save on heating bills.
--

Chris

On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 12:23:19 -0000, "Phil L"

I hoped no one would notice!
--

Chris

     snipped-for-privacy@please.invalid (AnthonyL) writes:

A "father and son" light.

Yes, they're inefficient, although not quite as inefficient as a lower powered (more common) mains halogen lamp. They are horribly inefficient if dimmed, which tends to be commonly done because they're often too bright at full power. Think of the dimmer as knob to turn down the efficiency rather than the power consumption, and you're pretty much spot on. You can get lower powered lamps which fit too, although make sure they're the right length (there's also a shorter standard size, and those won.t work). You can also buy higher efficency lamps which have an infra-red reflective coating on the inside of the tube, but they're more expensive. The EU is due to ban the sale of all halogen lamps in the future.
Their one useful feature is that if there's some insect flying around the room, you can turn it on for half a minute, by which time the insect will have turned itself into a whisp of smoke.
There's a safety issue with these, which have resulted in them being banned in some countries. They have been the cause of some fires due to being knocked over, something to be wary of if you have elderly or children there. UL requires than you can knock one of these over into a test curtain (a hanging cloth made of muslin), and the light must not be able to ignite the cloth. Most of the ones sold in europe would fail this test. To pass the test, the lamp needs a tilt switch to automatically switch off if it moves off-vertical, and the top needs to be designed so that all exposed parts are below the fabric ignition temperature.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 16:54:03 -0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Thanks for that - I recall the pfzz as insects, moths in particular, got incinerated in the village hall with their wall mounted halogens.
These lights don't seem to have a lot going for them!
--
AnthonyL

On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 07:01:48 +0000, AnthonyL wrote:
====snip===

Almost nothing when you repurpose them from the *only* task they're optimised for. external floodlighting. Even worse than when those small reflector lamps created for shop display spot lighting started to be used for home lighting purposes (eg downlighters).
--
Johnny B Good

I was using reflector spot down lighting long before those LV halogens were thought of. Directional lighting is ideal for creating a 'mood' in a room.
If all you want is illumination, fluorescents would be the way to go - same as in an office or factory.
--
*It's o.k. to laugh during sex?.?.just don't point!