Linear Halogen Spot problem

Did you try one of the other bulbs, as you only mention "it"?

Could be corrosion, or could be the spring connector is loose and not making contact properly with the terminal on the R75. If the light just does not work, and you can't get to the connections inside the case, I think your only option is a replacement. LEDs are very expensive compared to halogen R75s, and IME the lumen output stated is, shall we say, highly optimistic. Also, if you are going to replace the unit, make sure you get one with replaceable LEDs rather than a single, fixed LED, non-replaceable "bulb". Yes, I know LEDs last for at least 25000 hours, and never fade, but that information comes from the same source as the lumen output...

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Sounds like it could be corroded or if its a springy bit it can be a rivet which is corroded. Outside lighting seems to me to be a liability most of the times I've ever had them. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No, but the blown one was open circuit even though there was nothing visibly obvious. The "it" I tried reads 10ohms with a multi-meter so I was presuming it should light up with 240v across it.

Well if I can get to replace it then I'll also be able to get to check the connections - just that the Philips screws holding it to the wall will be problematic.

Indeed, I will lower my expectations substantially with LED and thanks for the tip of replaceable LEDs.

I'll try and get up a ladder and take the multimeter with me next time.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Indeed. A multimeter is a far better tool than a neon mains tester which

- at best - tells you that *something* appears[1] to be live, but not that there is a return path.

With a multimeter you can both measure the voltage across the fitting and test the continuity of the R75s.

[1] Sometimes falsely, because of induction
Reply to
Roger Mills

FWIW it'll be way cheaper to buy & run a LED fitting than continue with the halogen, even if you fix it free.

As for where it's faulty, the break could be anywhere.

Generally replacement lights don't need to be in the same place, sometimes that can make fitting a new one much easier. Ie connect a new cable run to it rather than connect new fitting to old fitting.

Reply to
Animal