OT: email ports

I am having problems sending emails but they are received okay. I have tried to contact the ISP for guidance but they are having a bad day technologically. I see my incoming port is 110 and outgoing is 25 but the recommended ports seem to be 995 and 587. I have really no idea what this is about. Could anyone clarify, please?

Reply to
Scott

Yes. Simple POP and SMTP use 110 and 25 respectively. Many mail servers nowadays requires SSL (secure sockets layer) encryption, presumably to thwart people sniffing the network traffic, and this uses 995 (POP) and either 465 or 587 (SMTP).

In all cases, a TCP port number directs traffic that arrives on a given IP address to the Windows or UNIX process that is listening on the given port, allowing lots of different traffic to be sent to/from the same IP, but directed to the correct process. Port 80 is the most common port that is used for HTTP web traffic, for example. If wanted to browse a web page from a server and read POP email from it at the same time, the server that you are talking to needs to distinguish the incoming requests and know where to send it back to, using non-standard port numbers (*) on your PC which direct web traffic to the browser and POP traffic to your email program.

(*) Negotiated when you start the connection.

Reply to
NY

Forgot to say: if the ISP needs 995 and 587, it is wrong for your email program to use 110 and 25, and you must change them otherwise it will not work.

Reply to
NY

25 is SMTP 110 is POP 143 is IMAP 465 is SMTPS 993 is IMAPS 995 is POPS 587 is SMTP for local submission

the "S" variants start off in TLS mode

the non-S variants are not secure ann can often be used in STARTTLS mode where your client switches to secure mode, you may have to tell it to do this.

no idea what Agent supports, but for most providers these days, I'd start with outbound=587 and STARTTLS security

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks for your quick and helpful reply. I have returned the settings to 110/25 and still messages cannot be sent. These are settings I have used for years. I am using Outlook. Is it possible that the global outage being reported by the BBC could be the cause?

Reply to
Scott

The sending problem is not with Agent (though I am often having to try twice) but with Outlook. As I said in my other post, could the global outage being reported by the BBC be the issue?

Reply to
Scott

ISPs are tightening up what they accept

real, full-fat Outlook, what version?

Or is it <spit>Outlook Express</spit>

Reply to
Andy Burns

I take it you mean you can receive email that others have sent you ok, but can't send any yourself? (rather than you are having trouble sending, but they get through in the end?)

What NY said was spot on.

There was a time that email was routinely handled over unencrypted connections - anyone running a network sniffer would be able to see the content of the messages etc.

These days it's more common to use secure connections (i.e. ones that encrypt all traffic). To make it easier for the mail server to identify the type of traffic in advance, it's common to use a different set of rendezvous ports for establishing that initial connection - especially when using SSL (secure sockets layer) connections.

(There is another type of secure connection known as STARTTLS - where the initial connection can be insecure, but the client and server negotiate a secure connection before doing anything with sensitive data)

Most mail software will set the port based on the type of connection you ask for. However there are times where you may need to override the default. Note also that many modern mail servers may be configured to reject non secure connections altogether.

Reply to
John Rumm

Who is your email provider?

ignore the 993 setting for IMAPS shown below here, but try port 587 and STARTTLS for sending by SMTP

reported where? affecting who? In short, probably not.

Reply to
Andy Burns

The technical support - before they experienced their own technical failure - did not mention any change.

It is AIUI the Office 365 version (Outlook 365?) - a bit too full of fat for my liking.

I thought it had gone.

Reply to
Scott

It's on the BBC News website as a breaking story. Affecting inter alia Airbnb, UPS, HSBC, British Airways and PlayStation. I cannot get the BBC website on my PC at present but my phone works okay.

Reply to
Scott

Then (assuming you're with Zen) use 995 for POP3S with SST or TLS and

587 with STARTTLS, as per their recommendation

I thought their tech support was meant to be good?

More or less it has, but some people keep using it

Reply to
Andy Burns

Affecting websites, not email, but in reality it seems to be a DNS issue, if you can reach mailhost.zen.co.uk to receive, you should be able to reach it to send ... just change the portnumbers and encryption settings.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I read the recommendation, which was what made me wonder if my settings were wrong or if there were special rules for Outlook. It seems to be the default in Outlook so I wonder if my Outlook has become corrupted?

Yes, historically truly excellent. Recently they have experienced issues relating I think to home working - possibly both staff and customers. They are reporting problems with connectivity to some of the staff working at home. They have reported this to the supplier (which is odd as I assumed it would all be VOIP and Zen would be the supplier).

Reply to
Scott

Thanks. I tried changing one of the accounts as an experiment (but not all). Maybe this was a mistake :-)

Reply to
Scott

I'm with Zen and have been using those setings for many years.

Reply to
alan_m

Unfortunately, I have tried this and it just asks for my User Name and Password each time (which I enter) then it gives the same error. (Ox800CCC78).

I ticked 'Require secure password authentication' in POP Email and in Advanced I entered 'SSL/TLS' for incoming server and 'STARTTLS' for outgoing server.

I have tried all sorts of permutations. Could it be an Outlook problem rather than an email problem? ,

Reply to
Scott

Try ticking "my outgoing server requires authentication"

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yup I was about to say that - older versions of outlook don't turn that on by default (2013 or older IIRC)

Reply to
John Rumm

A lot of Zen broadband connection still goes through a BT (or should I say Openretch?!) landline. My FTTC does. I also don't have VOIP and am unlikely to be offered FTTP for years.

If it works and you're happy with it, why change it?

Reply to
Jeff Layman