[G1KQH] VAT we are confused, but even they are confused?

Steve G1KQH's Amateur Radio Blog "The Font of all Knowledge"

/////////////////////////////////////////// VAT we are confused, but even they are confused?

Even companies exporting to the UK are now caught up in the confusing VAT debacle .. The BBC are now picking up on the story:

wasn't a transition period put in place for all this, allowing a smooth change over? Your confused, I am confused. Standby for the next exciting episode...

/////////////////////////////////////////// The UK VAT grab that was impossible to enforce?

Good news!! No VAT at all on imports under a certain value. Rules changed AGAIN a few days ago. New Notice 143:

Section 2.3

to £135 No Customs Duty No Import VAT It was gonna be impossible to enforce the collection this end, because who and how the hell would you check all those packets? So how could they check the VAT had been paid with Chinese, US and Rest of World goods ? Did the UK suddenly have a Million new inspectors at the ports, or the Royal Mail was geared up ready and waiting to cope with collection, or to deal with appeals over mistakes ? Explains why nothing happened on ebay on 1st January that adds VAT to the listings for auto collection at the time you paid.. Yes certainly all very confusing, but it appears we can all breath again!

Reply to
G1KQH via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin

What is curious about this whole debacle is the £135 watershed.

For imports above that level, then the importer, presumed to be a business, must account for the VAT and import duty.

Below £135, the importer is presumed to be an individual who is buying one-offs.

By putting such a Kafkaesque barrier in place suggests that it is some insidious machiavellian government plot to hinder individuals from bringing unidentifiable merchandise into this country, and may therefore be an overshoot of security concerns.

My question is ... when was this law change debated by the Mother of Parliaments?

Reply to
gareth evans

As I understand, £135 value comes from the 150 euro limit for tariff-free / duty-free purchases.

It has been there for years.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google