Confused

Ok, one acre is 43560 square feet so , if a perfect square, one dimension should be half that? So the lot should be 21780 deep. So that should be about 2/10ths of a mile deep? How deep is a 113 acre lot that is a perfect square?

Reply to
LSMFT

That would be a great question to ask in Alt.math newsgroup...they are very helpful for that kind of thing...had my entire sq footage caluclated for spring fertilizer etc...try there

Reply to
Jim

Hardly. It's square root of that or 208.7... ft.

W/O doing the arithmetic, 160 A is a quarter section or 1/2 mi sq. for a rough idea.

Ratio square roots of areas for distances...

--

Reply to
dpb

That's wrong. If one square acre is 208.7 on side, that's half of a 10th of a mile since one tenth is 528 feet. So 113 acres should be 23,583.1 on a side or 44 tenths? that 4 miles, I don't think so. Is it?

Reply to
LSMFT

area is measure by length times width, which is where you're mistaken a perfectly square acre is 208.71 feet in length on all four sides.

113 acres perfectally square would be 2,218.62 feet on all sides. This is about 2/5 of a mile on each side.

A perfect square a mile long on all four sides equals 640 acres.

Robin

Reply to
rlz

I've no clue how you're trying to do arithmetic but it ain't comin' close.

Couple of ways...

Sq rt(43560 * 113) = 2218.6... ft

2640 (1/2-mi) * sq rt(113/160) = 2218.6... ft 2218.6/2640 ~0.84 so is, as noted early, short of the half-mile.

First from area (ft-sq)/A; second from previous ratio of sq-rts of acreage compared to known side distance.

Fundamentally, A = L x W if L = W then A = L^2 --> L = sqrt(A)

--

Reply to
dpb

Or about 4 tenths on the odometer or 1/10th less than half a mile. Ok, that sounds about right.

Reply to
LSMFT

Sigh. This is a simple problem. Ignoring all the miles and other nonsense, what we have is a lot that is square and 113 acres. The answer is sqrt(113 X 43560) or 2219 feet is the length of each side.

Reply to
trader4

LSMFT wrote: ...

Which is what I told you before if compare to a quarter-section... :) (or :(, not sure which...)

And, of course, 1A = 1 rod by 1/2-mile is the way we laid out fields years ago....Now, simply punch in coordinates on the GPS system in the tractor cab and stop when says "done". :)

--

Reply to
dpb

My GPS don't work in the woods. Can't get enough satellites unless there is a clearing and the clearing is not where I usually want to be.

Reply to
LSMFT

assuming these number sare correct

sqrt(43560 * 113)

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

No. One dimension would be the square root of that, or 208.7 feet.

21780 feet is about four miles, not 0.2 miles. A lot 21780 feet by 21780 feet is almost eleven thousand acres.

sqrt(113 * 43560) = 2218.6 feet

Reply to
Doug Miller

You're not just confused, you're stupid ;)

Reply to
Frank
2,218.621193' square.
Reply to
Steve B

Brain fart, sorry. Ignore previous post.

113 ac. X 43560=5,261,280 square feet. The square root of that is 2293.748025
Reply to
Steve B

Telescopic fiberglass window washing pole. Put GPS on pole and send up high enough to receive satellites for a few minutes to get position, then lower to read and record position.

Reply to
Pete C.

actually, it's .434421974 miles, but 4 tenths is close enough. That is arrived by dividing 2293.748025 by 5280.

.03 mi off is a distance of 158.4 feet.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B