Confused

I presumed the 1206 was a typo and intended as another 206.3 given the pattern above. Still, sqrt(43560) = 208.71..., though, not 206-something...

--

Reply to
dpb

I suspect you're thinking of the square root -- roughly 200 and a bit.

an acre could also be 400 x 100 ... or in your example 21,780 ft. x

2 ft. . Or any other combination that multiplies to 43560

Ken

Reply to
bambam

It's the result of multiple typos. 206.3 = sqrt(42560).

Reply to
Doug Miller

How good are you with a #2 pencil and a sheet of paper? I can't remember anymore how to do the square root calculation using just those two items.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I agree. You're confused.

If a perfect square, one dimension is the square root of the square footage.

On the OTHER hand, the value of a bridge is calculated based on it's length, age, and location. I, personally, hold title and can offer a GREAT deal on an historic old bridge in New York City. Lemme' know if you're interested.

-DS

Reply to
Dudley Hewitt Squat

Why are you getting the square root of an acre? There is no way you can line up the 113 squares to make another square where you can measure one side. You need to take the whole area, then get the square root.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

To tell you the truth, I would have to do quite a lot of calculations to arrive very close. We did do some calculations back before the days of the calculator, and the math teachers accepted slide rule results from that large of a calculation. I still do math, doing real estate surveys. My two largest properties in approximately 1,000 studies were 1100 acres each. Most average 750,000 square feet gross property. And in that, I have to calculate streets, sidewalks, curbs, drainages, landscape, block walls, landscaping, and other things. I spent over a year relearning a lot of it after a traumatic brain injury five years ago.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Check in with your MLS. I sold that property already. And I have a good faith deposit from another buyer as well.

Steve ;-)

Reply to
Steve B

????

The 43,560 _is_ the equivalent of an A in sq-ft; in the preceding post I was simply looking at the last incorrectly written product that was said to equal that and correcting same...had nothing at all to do w/ the 113A question.

If it's in regard to my earlier (much) post, I simply pointed out that already knowing the length of a side for a 1A square one could ratio by the square roots of the acreages to find the length of a side as an alternate way as to using the area directly. Same result, different way to get there; I showed the arithmetic in that post for both...I used the knowledge a section is 640A in that; similarly knowing 1A --> 208.7...ft on a side, 113A is 208.7*sqrt(113) --> 2218.6... Compare to sqrt(113*43,560) and you'll see it's the same.

Or, algebraically, A = L^2 --> L = sqrt(A)

So, L1/L2 = sqrt(A1)/sqrt(A2) = sqrt(A1/A2)

Reply to
dpb

Nonsense. Sqrt (a * b) = sqrt(a) * sqrt(b), or, in this specific case, sqrt (113 * 43560) = sqrt (113) * sqrt(43560).

Reply to
Doug Miller

Oh, for cryin' out loud. The calculations to "arrive very close" are trivial and can easily be done in one's head.

It should be obvious that sqrt(113) is somewhat less than 11. Likewise, it should be obvious that sqrt(43560) is somewhat more than sqrt(40000) = 200.

This gives a quick approximation for sqrt(113 * 43560) at (11 * 200) = 2200 -- which is within 1 percent of the correct answer.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Can you put this in hectares and metres?

Reply to
PV

Please state your views as they apply to you. I have studied math, algebra, trig, physics, chemistry, and calculus. Some of it I have retained, and some of it has gone out the window, due to aftereffects of being on a ventilator, a 9 hour heart surgery, various other surgeries, and a traumatic brain injury. With what I have left, I'm better than average. And quite a bit at that.

So, don't be so darn insulting and condescending in your treatment of other people. Not all of us are as smart as you, and that is a good thing. Ah. If I were only as humble as you are .............

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Sorry, but I wasn't following that train of thought. Pardon me. So, what did you get for the answer?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Hey, there's a hundred ways to cook a poodle, but it all tastes like chicken.

I'll translate that into lower terms since you are so smart, and it may not compute in your spacious brain: There are a lot of ways to arrive at the same answer, so long as that answer is correct.

Did you ever know you're my hero?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Yes. Can you?

Reply to
Steve B

Thank you for making *my* point. I was responding to *your* contention that there's only one way to get there: "you need to take the whole area, then get the square root" -- which isn't true.

Reply to
Doug Miller

You're welcome.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Steve B wrote: ...

It's in the earlier post or you can punch numbers on a calculator as well as I can yet again...

--

Reply to
dpb